Big thanks to everyone that has ever posted!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nickvc said:
In reply to Kurt I agree I don’t and never will feel happy discussing what I do so casually or as Jon says gung-ho, I have worked with virtually all the nasties in this business and have come to understand their dangers and their benefits but you have to know the risks and understand when you mess up and what to do. While I do hate sulphuric and lye with a passion they shouldn’t kill you but with Kcn there are no second chances, I have also worked with hydrofluoric which is also very unpleasant and again would not suggest anyone use it without a proper lab and safety gear.

It was great to meet the guys from the forum and made for a pleasant and entertaining few days I just hope I didn’t scare them too much :shock: :D
Nick, I never felt unsafe in your presence and I really loved your gung-ho style of refining. It clearly showed that you knew what you were doing. Not even when you tapped me on the shoulder and told me to "Better step out of the lab for a while." You have given me a new way of looking at refining.

But even after spending a week with you, I still can't explain exactly how you know what to do in each situation. What you know is called experience and that is something you can't teach. I have seen enough to bring some new ideas into my refining, but to get to the point to teach other I need the experience from years of really working with it. And even then I think this is something you need to see for your self, it's not possible to teach safely on a forum since you don't know the proficiency of the person reading the text.

And as you say, a lot of things we do is dangerous but cyanide is the one chemical that if you make a mistake it might be your last one. Lethal dose is about 1/3 of a gram and some people can't smell it when it's in the air. I can't smell it.
I've been interested in cyanide long before I joined the forum but never tried it. I'm glad I waited for this occasion.

One of the nice memories from this trip was the food. From your great curry to the Hungarian goulash Patrick made (rabbits not included). Even the Yorkshire pudding with a lot of gravy. :D
Not forgetting the rib-eye that Jon fried, that was perfectly done, just as I liked it.

Göran

Göran the real trick with using dangerous chemicals or mixes thereof is to know when things go wrong and what to do and why, I’m not a chemist, I failed miserably at the exams as a kid, but I do know what the real outcome of certain combinations are or can be, that can’t be taught on a forum it has to be seen and learnt.
We messed with some seriously dangerous mixes but with full knowledge of the outcome, I won’t elaborate on all we did as I don’t want others thinking it’s just chuck a few bits in of this and a few of that and all’s fine , it’s not that simple and I refuse to put others at risk using some of the things I take for granted.
As stated before even some of the more benign chemicals we use can be highly toxic and dangerous to those unaware of what they are doing, your kitchen cleaning cupboard can be deadly with bad luck or misguided intent, as always safety first....gold or other values a poor second 8)

Back