Birkeland–Eyde method of Nitric acid production

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfx260

Hello forum!

I am new to refining & am looking to produce nitric acid using the Birkeland–Eyde method

I have found very little consistent information about this process regarding concentration, yield & efficiency. Some say it is hopelessly inefficient, others say it works alright.
I'm not too concerned with the cost of electricity unless it is astronomically high. I am most concerned if it will produce enough nitric acid to meet my needs for refining silver & gold scrap

I'm from the US, so Nitric acid is a little hard to just pick up at the store :roll:
I understand the dangers of shock & exposure to chemicals & take them seriously.
Basically, would I be completely wasting my money to buy a transformer & fish pump or would it eventually pay itself off in savings?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

In what part of the US of A are you?
I pick my nitric up @ Action Mining in Sandy, Oregon. There are others here that might point you to where they get theirs.

Take care & be safe!

Phil

gfx260,
I say forget trying this for a source of nitric acid.

If you just want to make some brown NO2 gas and few drops of nitric to see that the process can be done then have fun with the experiment.

Store bought nitric is best and I can drive to town and buy small bottles price is very high, or I can drive 500 mile round trip (shipping too high to purchase larger quantity's price still too high but somewhat less, so I will buy a about five gallons and save it for special purposes, most of my need for nitric acid are filled by making my own nitric from NaNO3 fertilizer, and KNO3 stump remover, also distilling this when needed for refining or for working with silver. also I try to use alternative methods that do not need nitric whenever I can.

GSP mentioned a fair price source to have nitric delivered was (search for sandy and nitric acid) I do remember this name sandy and some members buying from him at a fair price (I think?).
(I have what nitric I need for now or I would try Sandy).

The forum is full of posts discussing nitric acid, making it using it, buying it and so on, studying these posts will keep you busy for awhile (there is very good information here for anyone that does not mind working a little bit for his education).

Hi Plat!

Its $60.00 for a 2.5L bottle, or $225.00 for a case of 6, (@ $37.58 per 2.5L bottle) which is what I bought. That was earlier this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be raising the prices again the first of the year.

Phil

I'm located in Georgia, about an hour north of Atlanta.

I found an old newspaper article about a company very close that uses Nitric acid in large quantities, but as far as I know they only make B2B transactions & I'm not sure if they even sell it or just use it.

I really don't mind using this method as long as it isn't a complete flop. It would be nice to make it as I need it instead of buying in excess to get a decent deal.

the rep at http://www.brenntagmidsouth.com said they have outlets all across the US.five gallon stainless steel drum of tech grade nitric acid is $86.00 with a $220.00 deposit on the drum and you pick it up at the warehouse.might check them out.

i just checked their products list and they sell anodes. hmmm...

It might be better overall to buy the nitric. Keep in mind that a galon will go a long ways. If you won't be doing big batches, like dozens of ounces, just some small ones it will last you a while. I stretch mine by adding a bit of peroxide when I'm digesting silver.
(If you add peroxide to nitric when gold is present, like in inquarted gold, some gold will digested.)

Phil

Phil,
Maybe I misunderstood, but are you saying that nitric with H2O2 will digest gold?

I will not say out of hand you are wrong, but I do not see how that would happen.

Hi Oz!
I would use peroxide when digesting my inquarted gold, but I read in a post
a few months ago that, that was not recommended because of some gold could be digested.
Now, I might have understood wrong. I wrestle with ADD & I have trouble sometimes understanding what I read. (Especially when some don't use proper spacing & punctuation, or capital letters when they start a new sentence & so on...) But, you make sence.

Since, I only use peroxide when digesting silver; in AP, (I know in AP some gold can dissolve), or in AR.

I will try to find the "alleged" post, if it indeed ecxist.
Sorry for any confusion.

Thank you & I stand corrected!

Phil

If someone had gold put into solution using nitric and H2O2 the most likely culprit would have been chlorides in the water they used.

Ok, I found a pretty good answer to my question in a 10 month old post

That setup had to run almost a week to make the concentration just 50% or so. That is horrible,.. horrible efficiency! & a complete waste of time if you ask me

I am abandoning this idea.

Latest posts

Back