Boards soaked in hcl

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anachronism said:
Correct me if I am wrong however the boards you were processing appeared to be PC boards- is that right?

Let's see your Pd test. What did you use to get this result?

You overlooked an important observation my friend ask yourself why is the gold floating on top of the liquor, why does it not sink to the bottom of the filter.

I'll tell you why, I should have precipitated the heavier platinum sister first, the liquor is super saturated.with the heavier elements. Which is causing the lighter gold to float, no harm done, in the meantime I'm cementing out the values with copper.

DMG will be soon on its way to me, funds are in Canadian dollar.

bcgold said:
anachronism said:
Correct me if I am wrong however the boards you were processing appeared to be PC boards- is that right?

Let's see your Pd test. What did you use to get this result?

You overlooked an important observation my friend ask yourself why is the gold floating on top of the liquor, why does it not sink to the bottom of the filter.

I'll tell you why, I should have precipitated the heavier platinum sister first, the liquor is super saturated.with the heavier elements. Which is causing the lighter gold to float, no harm done, in the meantime I'm cementing out the values with copper.

DMG will be soon on its way to me, funds are in Canadian dollar.

dmg.png

How about you answer the question I asked about the raw product. Also - "supersaturated with heavy elements?" I'm all ears because I've yet to see this phenomenon.

Finally- you're guessing about the Pd then?

In the interests of the forum let me take what may appear to be a softer approach to this, because we need to get to a point where the facts are established.

The solution you showed looks to me like a dirty AR solution, pregnant with gold and having the rubbish floating on the top that one would normally expect from a recovery AR process with mixed and dirty raw material.

Your comments about it being super saturated with heavy metals are not something that is likely to happen from the product of 30 motherboards. Also if these are PC motherboards there is not going to be a load of Pd in there. Pd is only found in quantity on a particular range of boards, and PC boards are not one of them. I was basing my premise that these are PC boards based upon your photos of your electric cell and HCl leach. If that is incorrect then feel free to correct me.

It doesn't help anyone to suggest Pd until you have properly tested for it, as colour means absolutely nothing in the case of so many base metals being dissolved. That is a given because everything interferes with everything else.

For a start if you would clarify the base material for all of us it would go a long way to providing some clarity, but I've given a few clues above.

The reason that I appear to be taking such a hard line with this thread is that in the past we have had people make spurious claims with no data to back them up, and I want to be sure that this is not another one of those cases. Both for the good of everyone who will read this thread in the future, and for you so that you'll approach this from a more analytical perspective. We are all here to learn. I still do so every day.

I hope that helps in some way.

Jon

bcgold said:

I haven't been following this thread, but this comment offers too much entertainment potential...

That's an interesting equation, how much Pd (Sn, Ni) there must be dissolved in HCl solution, for resulting chlorides density to be higher than that of gold... Is that even physically possible?

Platdigger said:
Looks like that could be copper floating.

at this point it could be anything, predominantly brown in color, that mostly floats on top :) could it be Iron-Calcium-Litium?

seriously I doubt that it's even metallic... while we all know, sometimes fine gold precipitant floats on top due to surface tension, it usually looks different than seen in OP picture... to me it looks just like some dirt...

bcgold

First I want to say codos in your attempt to come up with a method to recover the gold from solder (here on the forum we already know solder contains gold - its been discussed MANY times here)

That said - your are going about it all wrong which is complicating the process

the cell you are running is a "parting cell" like a silver cell & like the "slimes" in a silver cell are "mostly" silver the slimes in your cell are "mostly" tin

You need to dissolve that tin (slimes) away with HCL & you need to treat the slimes "on there own" --- NOT mix them with the incinerated SMDs (caps)

mixing the slimes with other B.S. is doing nothing but complicating your process including but not limited to filtering problems

you are "over thinking" your process (in an attempt to come up with your own "better" process)

treat your slimes as one process (or better yet - just dissolve the tin in HCl) then treat the incinerated SMDs (caps) in another process

follow already tried - tested & "proven" processes

Tzoax & Patnor have already tried - tested & "proven" the process

:arrow: https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22951&start=90#p267815

dissolve your solder in HCl - filter out the solids - then treat with AR

Then you can recover your tin from the HCl by ether running a "winning" cell (instead of running it in a parting cell) --- or you can cement it from the HCL with zinc

Kurt

Kurt,

Thanks for posting that link. I had readybit before but did not comprehend it.

Not sure I fully do now. Your post and a second read gave it some context of the challenge it was trying to solve.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back