Boiling nitric acid in aluminum pot

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayham Hafez

Can we boil concentrated or diluted nitric acid in aluminum pot when we try to make copper parting?

Glassware beakers some times when boiling metallic shots with nitric get break, because of shots slime at the bottom of the beaker some times make an isolation layer so solution not reach to the glass bottom surface.

I read that nitric acid when touch aluminum it makes Al2O3 layer at the surface, but if that is true, we can also add sulphuric acid to aluminum pot after Al2O3 formed on the surface because of nitric, isn't it?

Can we boil concentrated or diluted nitric acid in aluminum pot when we try to make copper parting?

Glassware beakers some times when boiling metallic shots with nitric get break, because of shots slime at the bottom of the beaker some times make an isolation layer so solution not reach to the glass bottom surface.

I read that nitric acid when touch aluminum it makes Al2O3 layer at the surface, but if that is true, we can also add sulphuric acid to aluminum pot after Al2O3 formed on the surface because of nitric, isn't it?
I believe concentrated is OK, I'm not sure the passivizing layer is good enough when dilute.
Why do you want to do this?

I believe concentrated is OK, I'm not sure the passivizing layer is good enough when dilute.
Why do you want to do this?
Cause I broke 5 liter pyrex glassware when I was boiling copper shots, now I have some phobia from using glassware beaker with copper shots again :D

I have none magnetic stainless steel pot, but when I did a test with heating some nitric into it , I noticed that there was some reaction.

Cause I broke 5 liter pyrex glassware when I was boiling copper shots, now I have some phobia from using glassware beaker with copper shots again :D

I have none magnetic stainless steel pot, but when I did a test with heating some nitric into it , I noticed that there was some reaction.
BTW, I stripped gold from gold plated Aluminum material different times, aluminum not effected at all with very dilute nitric acid but I didn't try to boil just leach in room temperature

BTW, I stripped gold from gold plated Aluminum material different times, aluminum not effected at all with very dilute nitric acid but I didn't try to boil just leach in room temperature
Aluminum and SS are better off with concentrated Nitric.
Same as Copper holds up nicely in concentrated Sulfuric but not dilute.

Latest posts

Back