Boilling MLCCs in HCl.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romix

The other day, I boiled 100 gramms of mixed MLCCs taken from all sorts of electronics.
The solution turned purple.

Here's is what I got so far.
Displaced all that with zinc.

Uknown metal, non magnetic. Dissplaced as sponge with + tin crystals in it.
kcX3qW.jpg

After heating it for about 10 minutes at the temperature of 1200℃, bit of it melted but not like metal more like salt, and after crushed back to powder.
Also I melted out this piece of Tin out of that pile of grey powder.
5WgKav.jpg

And this nickel foils was floating in a solution.
QWVJac.jpg

Ok, that what MLCCs look like after HCl boil, many of them have silver contact pads(I can see it by their milky colour), and alot of them still magnetic.
Will give em another HCl boil.
OJ2n31.jpg

the process is way more involved then boiling in hcl & trying to melt & makes lots of waste solution.

you need to get rid of the base metals, and separate the silver & palladium (if any)

its a big job (8 or 10 hours) not including precipitation.

search MLCC on the forum you will find some great instruction + videos

oh.......

if there is any polymer separators in the mlcc's make sure they don't melt to the bottom of your glassware :x

necromancer said:
oh.......

if there is any polymer separators in the mlcc's make sure they don't melt to the bottom of your glassware :x
Yeah, and hard to remove. I did it once and will never do that again.

MarcoP said:
necromancer said:
oh.......

Yeah, and hard to remove. I did it once and will never do that again.

me too :lol:
it's still on the bottom of my 1000 ml flask after a year

Latest posts

Back