Bornite ore 20 percent worth working for gold and silver?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nountaineer, I advise you to check your attitude and the way you respond to others here. Believe it or not, everyone is trying to help you. If you don't like some of the advice, simply ignore it and move on. But when you respond with snarky comments about members reading your past posts and comment that a member is not valid, you may find your stay here coming to an abrupt end.

No one has told you that you are not valid. It is not appropriate to respond to anyone else in that manner.

Dave
Provide a link to block trouble makers!

Provide a link to block trouble makers!
If you can't muster the self-discipline to ignore their posts yourself, you can block yourself from seeing them.

Click on a user's name. It will take you to their profile. Click on the Ignore button. You won't see their posts anymore. But everyone else will still see them, and you'll lose a lot of context from other posts that may be reactions to their posts. Your loss.

I haven't seen anyone respond to your posts that I would consider a trouble-maker. You just don't like their responses.

Dave

Here this should help.

1.) You don't have any platinum ore you will recover from home and make money at doing, so you can stop wasting your time with that. There is nothing you will be able to do on a shoe string budget to get platinum from Arizona soils unless you bought a metal detector and someone lost a ring.
2.) If you do have copper ore, focus your efforts on making a pile of it and sell it to a company as local to you as possible that processes it. It's not worth working on a small scale and you will not make money, just amounts of waste that that you will be legally compelled to deal with at some point in the near future. When they go to sample your pile, make sure a third party representative that does that sort of thing is there and if it turns out that there are large amounts of gold after a scorification and fire assay of the sample splits taken, then insist on getting some payment.
Short answer --- NO

Unless the gold is in the form of actual metal there is no why to separate just the gold from the rest of the rock

Because the metals (copper/gold etc.) in the rock (ore) are in the form of sulfides - you need to first reduce the sulfide (break the chemical bond that makes them a sulfide) to actual metal - the metals can then be recovered (smelting or leaching) from the ore --- the recovered metals will then be an alloy of copper/gold etc. - the metal alloy then needs further processing to separate the different metals in the alloy

On a small scale this is a time consuming & complicated process that will always cost more then you recover especially if the primary metal is copper

Kurt

Nountaineer, if you were paying attention to others' previous posts, what people who know more than you were trying to tell you is it doesn't matter if you're interested in processing the copper--it has to be processed to get the gold, silver and perhaps, just maybe the platinum contained with the copper.
Thank you , copper ore was not my choice, just seeing if I could extract the PG metal easier than the gold/silver in copper. I have some success already with mixing platinum gold ore into molten copper as suggested by a refinery middle man. I will sell copper ingots but want to learn to smelt it as well.

If you can't muster the self-discipline to ignore their posts yourself, you can block yourself from seeing them.

Click on a user's name. It will take you to their profile. Click on the Ignore button. You won't see their posts anymore. But everyone else will still see them, and you'll lose a lot of context from other posts that may be reactions to their posts. Your loss.

I haven't seen anyone respond to your posts that I would consider a trouble-maker. You just don't like their responses.

Dave
I was only getting arguments from Goldshark, No Help!

Short answer --- NO

Unless the gold is in the form of actual metal there is no why to separate just the gold from the rest of the rock

Because the metals (copper/gold etc.) in the rock (ore) are in the form of sulfides - you need to first reduce the sulfide (break the chemical bond that makes them a sulfide) to actual metal - the metals can then be recovered (smelting or leaching) from the ore --- the recovered metals will then be an alloy of copper/gold etc. - the metal alloy then needs further processing to separate the different metals in the alloy

On a small scale this is a time consuming & complicated process that will always cost more then you recover especially if the primary metal is copper

Kurt
Thank you Kurt, the bornite is not of primary interest but needed to know if it was an alternative to the platinum processing so you answered my question. I was also advised to melt scrap copper and stir in the platinum ore but it requires a very hot furnace to get the ore to mix with the molten copper. My kiln was not hot enough to stir it more than once.

Thank you Kurt, the bornite is not of primary interest but needed to know if it was an alternative to the platinum processing so you answered my question. I was also advised to melt scrap copper and stir in the platinum ore but it requires a very hot furnace to get the ore to mix with the molten copper. My kiln was not hot enough to stir it more than once.
But Platinum needs even more heat than Copper
So if you can't melt copper you can definitely not melt platinum.
Copper melts at 1085 C and Platinum at 1768 C
The combined alloy melts at a lower temp closer to Copper.

But Platinum needs even more heat than Copper
So if you can't melt copper you can definitely not melt platinum.
Copper melts at 1085 C and Platinum at 1768 C
The combined alloy melts at a lower temp closer to Copper.
Copper is not a problem, getting my kiln or now my furnace hot enough to mix into the molten copper with a graphite rod. I will try a copper and flux combination next as Kurt suggested.

Bornite, also referred to as Peacock Ore is an iron copper sulphide. Typical copper content ranges from 40-65% copper sulphide, giving the rock its characteristic appearance.

Gold content can range from barren to as much as 1000ppm, or 0.1%. Silver content is similar. Both are recovered as part of copper refining as mentioned by Deano. Other precious metals are unlikely, but remotely possible.

The only “rules” I have heard of regarding precious metal content of ores is general ranges. If the source of the information is reliable, such as assay reports, then it may be close. If from any other source, I would regard it as questionable. Only the proper assay will tell the tale.

Time for more coffee.
There is peacock ore in NJ too. The primary veins were mostly depleted in the 1800's, BUT, the geology of northern NJ is tortured and twisted from various epochs of continental plate collisions and rifts, where NJ just happened to be a focal point in almost all of them... maybe why NJ has so many demon portals, lol. XD

Anyway, there are many little pockets and tiny veins scattered all around which remain to be discovered. And because most of the metal mining ceased before some new types of gold and silver ores were realized, I suspect there's quite a bit for small-time prospectors to uncover and process.

There is peacock ore in NJ too. The primary veins were mostly depleted in the 1800's, BUT, the geology of northern NJ is tortured and twisted from various epochs of continental plate collisions and rifts, where NJ just happened to be a focal point in almost all of them... maybe why NJ has so many demon portals, lol. XD

Anyway, there are many little pockets and tiny veins scattered all around which remain to be discovered. And because most of the metal mining ceased before some new types of gold and silver ores were realized, I suspect there's quite a bit for small-time prospectors to uncover and process.
I discovered a supergene enriched silver deposit and filed on it in 1987 and after 36 years I have a second discovery to work with but not a dollar yet from the first one. So there are indeed other possibilities but I dedicated my life to prospecting and suffered much to achieve these. I even sacrificed having a family to gain much.

There is a lot of gold recovered as a secondary metal from copper refineries. I suspect that is the best route here as well. But if I recall correctly, that requires milling of the copper ore, which would be expensive on a small scale.

If the impurities in the resulting copper pigs are low enough, then the copper can be purified by electrorefining. The gold/PGMs and Silver are recovered from the slimes from the electrorefining.

I was also advised to melt scrap copper and stir in the platinum ore but it requires a very hot furnace to get the ore to mix with the molten copper. My kiln was not hot enough to stir it more than once.

I don't know were you got that advice but it is bad advice --- not saying it won't work - just that whoever told you that has it the wrong way around (which is why you are having trouble with it) & therefore bad advice

You would be much better served by getting your (well mixed together) flux/ore molten first & then adding the copper - instead of getting the copper molten & then adding the flux/ore

Keep in mind that when you have things up to molten temps (which is very hot) & you then go to add something cold to it - it NEEDS to be ether added VERY SLOWLY --- or preheated - depending on what is being added to what --- other wise you will most certain have an EXPLOSION of what is already molten

Examples; - once you have your flux/ore molten - & after the foaming has died down & you want to add more flux/ore to the already molten smelt you MUST add the addition of flux/ore VERY SLOWLY - if you just dump a bunch of cold flux/ore on top of the already molten flux/ore - you will most certain have an explosion

If you are going to add actual metal to what is already molten - whether it's molten metal or molten flux/ore - the metal you are adding MOST BE PREHEATED - or you will most certainly have an explosion

That said - though you can get your flux/ore molten first & then add the (preheated) collector metal you are MUCH BETTER served to put it ALL in at the same time

In other words; - it is BEST to have the flux the ore & the collector metal all mixed together & in the crucible from the very start of the smelt so that they ALL heat evenly & become molten together

Having the flux/ore/collector metal all mixed together to start with is just one reason (but not the only reason) you want your copper collector to be fine chopped or fine shavings or fine powdered copper

Kurt

There is a lot of gold recovered as a secondary metal from copper refineries. I suspect that is the best route here as well. But if I recall correctly, that requires milling of the copper ore, which would be expensive on a small scale.

If the impurities in the resulting copper pigs are low enough, then the copper can be purified by electrorefining. The gold/PGMs and Silver are recovered from the slimes from the electrorefining.
A lot of the discarded lower-grade ore in old tailings piles is already broken up in small pieces. AND much of it has weathered heavily over the years, meaning it's more crumbly and brittle than freshly-mined ore. A small ore crusher can do the job quite well and get it to a fine powder. Check out people like Dan Hurd and Jason from Mount Baker Mining on Youtube. Dan especially showcases equipment for one-man operations, while Jason shows both small and mid-scale equipment.

I don't know were you got that advice but it is bad advice --- not saying it won't work - just that whoever told you that has it the wrong way around (which is why you are having trouble with it) & therefore bad advice

You would be much better served by getting your (well mixed together) flux/ore molten first & then adding the copper - instead of getting the copper molten & then adding the flux/ore

Keep in mind that when you have things up to molten temps (which is very hot) & you then go to add something cold to it - it NEEDS to be ether added VERY SLOWLY --- or preheated - depending on what is being added to what --- other wise you will most certain have an EXPLOSION of what is already molten

Examples; - once you have your flux/ore molten - & after the foaming has died down & you want to add more flux/ore to the already molten smelt you MUST add the addition of flux/ore VERY SLOWLY - if you just dump a bunch of cold flux/ore on top of the already molten flux/ore - you will most certain have an explosion

If you are going to add actual metal to what is already molten - whether it's molten metal or molten flux/ore - the metal you are adding MOST BE PREHEATED - or you will most certainly have an explosion

That said - though you can get your flux/ore molten first & then add the (preheated) collector metal you are MUCH BETTER served to put it ALL in at the same time

In other words; - it is BEST to have the flux the ore & the collector metal all mixed together & in the crucible from the very start of the smelt so that they ALL heat evenly & become molten together

Having the flux/ore/collector metal all mixed together to start with is just one reason (but not the only reason) you want your copper collector to be fine chopped or fine shavings or fine powdered copper

Kurt
I am interested in knowing how to finely chop up the copper too.

wow .... we meet again ...

having read this whole tread as well i'm starting to figure it out .

you don't need to get your furnace hotter ... you need to start heeding the advice you keep asking for.

you ask questions, you just don't like the answers ...

best of luck trying to make it work

wow .... we meet again ...

having read this whole tread as well i'm starting to figure it out .

you don't need to get your furnace hotter ... you need to start heeding the advice you keep asking for.

you ask questions, you just don't like the answers ...

best of luck trying to make it work
You don't follow very well so I will try to simplify it more.

Back