Brand new

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad13133

Hey y’all. My name is Brad. I’m 28 and in Dallas Tx area. Long story but had to change my career. So I’m now an Electrician apprentice. I get quite a few old circuit breakers, light switches, relays, (thing that contain contact points, which allegedly are made of silver and numerous other silver/gold/platinum alloys). I know the scraping of these small contacts isn’t very lucrative. It’s just a hobby I’m interested in taking up. Unfortunately I think I’ve gotten in deeper than anticipated. I’ve already collected a few ounces of strictly contacts. Mostly from circuit breakers ranging from 15A to 150A. What really confuses me, is that a select few of these contacts are magnetic.!?! But they are most certainly tarnished only like silver does. As mentioned, a lot of circuit breakers i break apart. Copper is easy to ID. But some of these metal pieces are copper core (when I cut it in half) and I believe silver plated. Not magnetic.
Then some of them, are copper core, but they are magnetic. I’m thinking maybe nickel, copper core? I have all kinds of gold plated fingers/circuit boards I’ve also accumulated from scraping all sorts of random crap. Circuit boards from ovens, and fridges, computers, old Xbox, Nintendo, PlayStation consoles, old broken iPhones, flip phones, even the old Nokia brick cell phones. Which all of these were either going into the landfill, or in my garage to scrap lol. So yea I know that some circuit boards, etc are worth more to resell as the product it is, as opposed to scraping it. But when it’s so outdated or damaged beyond reasonable repair, I’m scraping it. I’m not very good at self learning. More of a hands on type. I’ll take as much written advice and information that i can get, but if anybody is in the DFW area and wouldn’t mind mentoring me for lack of a better term. All responses welcome. Thanks In advance and Happy early Easter y’all.

Hey y’all. My name is Brad. I’m 28 and in Dallas Tx area. Long story but had to change my career. So I’m now an Electrician apprentice. I get quite a few old circuit breakers, light switches, relays, (thing that contain contact points, which allegedly are made of silver and numerous other silver/gold/platinum alloys). I know the scraping of these small contacts isn’t very lucrative. It’s just a hobby I’m interested in taking up. Unfortunately I think I’ve gotten in deeper than anticipated. I’ve already collected a few ounces of strictly contacts. Mostly from circuit breakers ranging from 15A to 150A. What really confuses me, is that a select few of these contacts are magnetic.!?! But they are most certainly tarnished only like silver does. As mentioned, a lot of circuit breakers i break apart. Copper is easy to ID. But some of these metal pieces are copper core (when I cut it in half) and I believe silver plated. Not magnetic.
Then some of them, are copper core, but they are magnetic. I’m thinking maybe nickel, copper core? I have all kinds of gold plated fingers/circuit boards I’ve also accumulated from scraping all sorts of random crap. Circuit boards from ovens, and fridges, computers, old Xbox, Nintendo, PlayStation consoles, old broken iPhones, flip phones, even the old Nokia brick cell phones. Which all of these were either going into the landfill, or in my garage to scrap lol. So yea I know that some circuit boards, etc are worth more to resell as the product it is, as opposed to scraping it. But when it’s so outdated or damaged beyond reasonable repair, I’m scraping it. I’m not very good at self learning. More of a hands on type. I’ll take as much written advice and information that i can get, but if anybody is in the DFW area and wouldn’t mind mentoring me for lack of a better term. All responses welcome. Thanks In advance and Happy early Easter y’all.
Welcome to us.
Contacts are a world of their own to learn, there are a plethora of different designs and materials.
Silver comes in alloyed, braced, sintered just to mention some.

Please do not use slang like y'all, there are members that relay upon translators and it do not translate well.

Welcome to the forum Brad.
I’m afraid that the chances of finding someone to mentor you is extremely slight but all the information you need is here on the forum and for free but you will have to do the leg work and do the necessary reading and studying.
Please be aware that many if not all the processes we use produce toxic fumes and solutions and for your safety and others you need to know exactly what those are .
You can do this but you must do the reading.

Back