• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Buying gold and it goes to a good cause.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jewelerdave

hi, I enjoy the forum,
I manufacture wedding rings and custom jewelery.
We refine our scraps out in similar fashion to the way you folks do in this forum.
Our customers Love the fact that we recycle gold and use recycled gold in there jewelry. Particularly if its from computers.
This being the case we are always buying gold from people who have it.

You may have discovered most people will not trust your ingots as they are not stamped or marked and get low balled on offers for your perfectly good gold.
And refiners may say they want to "re refine it" and charge you a fee.

We know the science and math and know good gold.
We buy direct and as long as its pure we can use it directly in our alloys and put the stuff to use and make people very happy.

I can be reached at 970 227 5177 if you are ever interested in selling.

thanks,

David

Lets assume I'm interested in selling some gold.

How do you propose the transaction be handled? How would you deal with the volatility of the market? At what point would you settle on price---and-------- would you honor a deal, be it at a loss or a gain?

There's shipping and insurance to consider, and the fact that both parties would be dealing with an unknown person, with possible risks of non-payment, or non-delivery of goods.

Can you give my your thoughts?

Harold

well the delivery of goods part can almost be eliminated by shipping with tracking, signature requirments, and insurance on product shipped. About the only thing left is to actually pack and ship accordingly.

and Harold please by no means take no offense to this post. As I know it is in the realm of pretty ovious. Just trying to help.

jewelerdave,

I've seen your posts and refining photos on Treasure Net. You seem to be quite knowledgeable. Good to have you aboard. How about those Rockies?

loco said:
well the delivery of goods part can almost be eliminated by shipping with tracking, signature requirments, and insurance on product shipped. About the only thing left is to actually pack and ship accordingly.

and Harold please by no means take no offense to this post. As I know it is in the realm of pretty ovious. Just trying to help.

No offense taken at all, loco. It's just that I've been through this very thing, in fact, for years. I would insist that a buyer of my product understood and honored the terms I'll set forth. It's not as simple as that which you mentioned-----way too many holes that permit bad behavior.

There is a protocol that is followed---at least by people with honorable intentions. Some have convoluted thinking and can justify backing out on a deal that is struck. Some may even try to steal from the other party, so both are at risk. One needs assurance before getting involved with such people----a complete understanding that both parties have but one shot ----that if a deal is not honored, there will be no further dealings, regardless of promises made. Keep in mind that It's very hard to get authorities to take action when you've been screwed, in spite of everything you may read and believe. You'll file complaints that go no where. Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Crooks are rarely at risk of prosecution, I'm sorry to report.

Here's how it works.

Both parties agree on a price, and the volume to be exchanged. A good deal for both parties is current spot.

Regardless of market changes, the price is carved in stone at the moment the deal is confirmed.

There is an agreement on how quickly the product will be delivered. There is an agreement on which party picks up the tab for shipping. Shipping is usually accomplished via USPS, shipping first class, registered, insured. There are other delivery services that can be used, all of which will insure the shipment.

Payment terms must be arranged. Does one receive payment before shipping the product? Do you accept their personal or business check? Do you demand payment by certified cashier's check? One party must trust the other, regardless of which way the transaction is conducted. Either payment is received first, or gold is shipped prior to payment. In either case, one party is at risk. It is for this reason that a person's reputation should be spotless. People that are not to be trusted should never be considered for a transaction. They tend to be opportunistic by nature, and will look for any and every opportunity to screw you over.

I sold gold for years, using the above procedure. Trusted clients received gold without delay, while others had to make payment first. Not everyone is trustworthy.

Harold

typically with my other clients they tell me how much they have and I send them a check or send them payment via paypal depending on the asking price. Most of the people I buy from give me an offer price and I found them on Ebay. mostly recyclers and hobbyist that sell to me give me a price, say a few % under spot. If the price is higher than I want to pay or if I am not in need of the gold that week, I simply say no thank you, maybe next week.

I am about turn over, the gold I get gets used quickly, If the market shifts up or down thats just how it is, no matter what the price is my prices for final product are adjusted accordingly. Sometimes I get an ounce and the price shoots up $50 an ounce. Thats life. Sometimes I buy and it goes down $50 an ounce...guess what, thats life. I am making the stuff into custom jewelry and alloying it down so a few dollars off here and there does not really matter, of course I only buy when its just below spot because there has to be an incentive for me to buy. I can go to AMPX and buy the stuff for $5 over spot. Or I can hit the pawn shops and get it $50 to $200 under spot. But I have to refine it, I can use my scraps when the need is there. and If I have to in a pinch I will pay up to $20 over spot at the local coin shop for a bar. I am a consumer of gold, the price does not really matter as I will always make a profit on it. But I am also always looking to expand my margin as every bit helps, Also I like the use of recycled gold better than mine and crushing tones of rock and making vast amounts of waste. I much prefer computer gold, old karat gold, dental gold, old coins, placer from small miners. No matter what its still gold.

Also the spot price of electronic gold traded daily and changing ever 5 min and the physical tangible gold are two different markets. Sometimes when its needed I pay more, but typically I like to pay less, its my incentive, it helps out smaller refiners so they dont get jerked around by coin shop people, larger refiners who are going to charge fees etc. pawn shop owners who are going to take you to the cleaners etc.
I may pay $20 under per ounce and you pay shipping of insured mail, but it beats some guy offering $150 under because its "not marked or corporate" or some refiners saying, well its .999 fine but we have to refine it anyway so we are gonna charge you $50 to refine it and pay ya %98 or 94% Even in that case your still going to be $75 to $100 if its a small lot of say one ounce.

I simply give people with small gold lots the ability to sell with out getting taken, some of my customers I have been buying from for years every week an ounce or two, some I only hear from once a year.
Some are just people who try it once and give up. A lot of times I get scrap and refine it myself. Either way I am always on the look out for gold. Weather it be from my own scraps, customer trade in rings, pawn shop finds, Ebay finds. Gold from hobby refiners or just getting it from one of the bigger refiners, where my gold comes from next is always a question of interest.
Quite frequently we are taking peoples old wedding rings and recycling them into new ones using there old gold. Its a lot of fun, its amazing how much gold a lot of women about to get married have laying about from old boyfriends, broken and mis matched earrings, old necklaces etc. they are happy to trade it in.
Of course the coolest is when a guy offered me $20 for a custom ring. I was learly at first but then he showed me the $20 a 1909 $20 gold piece. I said Id be happy to make a ring for that! Kept that one, didnt melt it, too cool, but this is an every day thing for me. Its my living.

Thanks,

David

Hi Dave, is there any minimum gold that can be send ?
Because I'm pretty sure customs will tax my package if I insure it for 700$ lol.

International, (even though Canada is right there) is not too difficult to do.
We send quite a bit of finished product international. And customers send us stuff from all over the world, Typically if a ring or other piece of jewelry has to be sent back for say a resizing after a year or so it can be sent back Fedex, UPS or registered mail.
On all of them there is a spot on the customs form for a description. Simply put returning for warranty work/repair. Or as personal transaction/gift avoids such taxes. Also things that are Collectible are exempt such as coins.
I have had some people send the stuff with computer parts and sent as computer parts. I recommend using fedex so it can be tracked and the customs forms are easier to deal with.
The only time I ever had a problem with fedex and customs is when a customer that was sending me a few pounds of gold nuggets from Australia put down AUore on the form.
I just had to fill out a form that stated that AUore was not a dangerous or toxic liquid....weird I know, but they needed to have something because they could not figure out Gold ore, and my customer didnt want to put gold ont he package for security reasons.

I dont have any minimums. For a first transaction I generally like to keep it small and under an ounce. As a relationship develops the transactions get larger and more frequent. I do have maximums. Depending on demand and how much gold we are using depends on how much we can afford, I would not be able to pick up say 30 ounces on a whim. but .25 to 3 ounces is not a problem.

Welcome to the forum Dave,

Great posts!

Do you make any charms with a customers gold? Do you work with Platinum?

Steve

Dave,
Don't worry people have looked at me like a drug dealer To. :shock: :shock: :shock:

You'all check out some of his work. That's cool Dave. All them your designs and such. :arrow:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=30864228

hi,

Yes I can make charms, I do work in platinum. Gold, silver, Titanium.
I have a full range shop that offers the following services

CAD/CAM milling of wax for custom designs.
Lost wax casting for golds and silvers.
Refining of scrap to be recycled into customer
We have a laser welder that allows us to weld any metal to any metal. Its really cool, beam width of .25mm to 2mm and different levels of power.
and of course everything else you find in most goldsmith shops.

Some of what we do is on this web site. www.anduradesign.com

My particular specialty is the mokume gane.

Is it possible to send our gold and you make a ring out of it ?
And do you alloy down your gold sometimes ?

Thanks

Hi, yeah I can do that, I can either do a casting to make it into a ring, or I can roll it and forge it back into its self, Pure gold is great to work with.
To do a casting it requires more gold than the ring is made from as you need a sprue. In most cases I need about 7 to 10 grams more than the ring will weigh, in most cases I take the sprue as payment for making the ring.

95% of the jewelry we make is alloyed down as pure gold is so so so soft. it will take a beating with every day wear. Some are ok with this, some are not, some love the rich look, others dont, most of the gold we do is alloyed to white gold or red gold and yellow, most is to 14k, some is to 18k, some is done at 22k and of course the rick 24k. I dont really use 10k and people dont do custom in 10k, its generally used for "cheap" jewelry.

But yes its a cool thing to have a ring made out of your own refined gold. great conversation piece and helps with getting more gold if your out hunting for it striking up conversations and the like.
I recommend plain bands for the 24k, patterns dont take too well over time and wear down quickly.

I generally like to get it in one piece as a nice slug, button, bar etc. In the past dealing with raw placer gold dust I have had instances where the container broke or package was mishandled and all the gold ended up everywhere!
A nice button slug wont have that problem its also easier to weigh and just takes a quick reheat to melt and cast.
Generaly the cost to cut the ring to the max size for the amount of gold needed, cost of casting/lost wax, and then finishing and making sure the size is right, and then heat treating it to harden the gold as much as possible, runs about $125 to $150 and that includes return shipping. Payments can either be in gold or I can send back the sprue and do it for cash, either way, gold is cash in my book as it will get used quickly.

Thanks,

David

I might take you up on your offer. I sell platinum, gold, silver, palladium, and rhodium, and can make plating solutions for all of those (so if you want anything done in Rh, I can cut you a deal --might want a few rings in exchange though :) )

Do you do mokume gane?

Mike, your items would probaly be better of in this section. :arrow: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=58
:wink:

Steve, is their a way to move just a single post and not the whole topic?

Back