Calling All Experienced Miners and Prospectors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all the other people could post the website address, it would be easier for the moderators to group them into one lump, instead of just saying we have a prospecting club in my state. It isn't that hard to do.

I totally agree with you Wal. I have a modified version of the old teach a man to fish saying. To me, just telling someone to search the forum is like saying "go fish" . If they don't know how to fish, it's not very helpful.

So, for me, giving a man a fish is the spoon feeding we don't want to do. I'm trying to put together a resource that will start to teach a man to fish. Once it's done and stickied, we can all just point the new guys to it and they'll be able to start to feed themselves.

Dave

Fire assays with NiS option and/or ICP-OES finish:

Ledoux & Co (NJ)
Alfred H Knight (SC)
ALS
Bureau Veritas
Axiom (Reno, NV)
SGS Lakefield, Canada
ACT Labs (Ontario, CA)

The above are production labs doing high quality work— this is not exhaustive—but these are respected companies doing consistently good work that have seen a lot of different materials.

I've included several of the latest prospecting finds I've made. They reveal an ore type of what's known as Vuggy Quartz, which forms as intrusive veins, and possess vuggs of copper and iron oxide minerals saturated with gold,
as well as coloration within the quartz that ideally represents gold, by gold's color: goldenrod...
Copper Gold Ore.png
gold ore 2.jpg
gold ore 3.jpg
gold ore 4.jpg
gold ore 5.jpg
Gold Ore.jpg
Gold Pan 2.jpg

Some info from my end;
ASSAY/RESEARCH LABS
Hazen Research Labs www.hazenresearch.com Golden, Colo. 303-279-4501
ALS Global. www.alsglobal.com
COLORADO PROSPECTING GROUPS
Gold Prospectors of Colorado. https:gpoc.club
www.goldprospectorsoftherockies.com
www.coloradoprospector.com
www.findinggoldincolorado.com
www.coloradomineralsandfossilshows.com
www.coloradogoldcamp.com
I agree with Hazen in Golden, CO. I have used them and they are very professional with a relatively quick turnaround.

Peace and health,
James

Fire assays with NiS option and/or ICP-OES finish:

Ledoux & Co (NJ)
Alfred H Knight (SC)
ALS
Bureau Veritas
Axiom (Reno, NV)
SGS Lakefield, Canada
ACT Labs (Ontario, CA)

The above are production labs doing high quality work— this is not exhaustive—but these are respected companies doing consistently good work that have seen a lot of different materials.
Can you post the web addresses Lou? Please of course.

Thanks darksparks, I'll take a look, but again, my focus is not for us to help them identify their ores, as that will just lead to more questions about whether we think their ores are like what you've shown. I want to find mineral identification sites we can send them to where the members help people identify their ores every day.

Thanks for the confirmation of Haven James!

Dave

Those are for the most parts North America I guess, do anyone have something in the rest of the world?
South America, Europe, Africa, Australia or Asia?

Some info from my end;
ASSAY/RESEARCH LABS
Hazen Research Labs www.hazenresearch.com Golden, Colo. 303-279-4501
ALS Global. www.alsglobal.com
COLORADO PROSPECTING GROUPS
Gold Prospectors of Colorado. https:gpoc.club
www.goldprospectorsoftherockies.com
www.coloradoprospector.com
www.findinggoldincolorado.com
www.coloradomineralsandfossilshows.com
www.coloradogoldcamp.com
How could you miss our beloved institution? :) Colorado School of Mines is another massive resource, as it is more or less a steictly engineering and mining university.
www.mines.edu

Their website is so massive. I spent 5 minutes trying to find out if you could send them an assay. Never did find anything out, except how they are #1 in all their programs, and a bunch of other fluff.

I don’t think you can send for a fire assay. I was there in Golden last fall and got a tour of the Kroll Institute—which is top notch—but it doesn’t appear that they are doing assays for fee. They do have plenty of equipment though.

Come on guys. We can't be done yet. Kurt, haven't you mentioned an assay service in your neck of the woods? Nickvc, how about a couple of places over in your region of the world?

I want a good, strong list before I'm going to give up on this.

Thanks everyone,
Dave

In general Assays in Australia are expensive unless you have contacts that will help or you can do it yourself... to the tune of hundreds of dollars per sample.
This is why the chemical testing of ore is so useful to me.
All Australian Universities will test things via their geology depts... Unfortunately they may or may not have the knowledge on hand to give accurate results on certain rare ores.
Assays can also be organised through some mining companies... They will generally want the location of the material 🤣
The refiners here can assay for Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium but struggle with the other PGMs or ores with high PGM loads.
Assays on PGM bearing materials are better done overseas.
They also do not pay on anything other than Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium.
Maybe a sticky on assay techniques would be useful.

Cheers Wal

Last edited:
Hello Guys
I Know this is a Refining forum
and Mining is Not the focus of It.

Thank you for trying to help us
that are focus is in mining.

Looking for University is a very good Idea
small miners and prospectors.

A Friend of my Friend
He do exactly that
He take some high grade for analysis to one of Arizona University
Near His Home.

Others Universities geology depts
have labs and they are more than welcome to help you
because what they looking for is to learn and get hands on experience
and some is free of any charge

small miner need to learn the Hazard they can possible found
by doing that can save their life and lot of money as well.

the Key to mining is Identify the Ore
learn how to identify
the Hazard that possible find it in the mine and on those beautiful rocks,Gold Ore ,ect

for example:
Arsenic,arsenopyrite,mercury
Lead oxide and others hazard
and stay away from them.

Don’t touched,Don’t roasted
can be very dangerous
Stay away.

leave it and look for another opportinuty
You will find it

Last edited:
Back