Can anyone help determine if this could be Gold ore

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guineafowl

Hi
i found this specimen in a sample of Cretaceous chalk and flint.
it is non magnetic, does scratch with steel blade but not real easily and when scraped with a steel file did not appear to spark as i have heard fools gold does.
the specimen is no more than and inch in its largest dimension.
here is some photos.
g2.png
g1.png

Gold is soft so try hitting it with a hammer if it shatters it's not gold but it may contain some.

The images appear to have a crystalline pattern. From that alone I would guess not. The easiest test, but most destructive, is that suggested by nickvc. Based only on the information given I am guessing a pyrite. We have a deposit near me that is composed of gold colored pyrite that has no gold and your images look similar.

If you can file off a little bit of it and have a test tube or glass sample vial, you could try a quick "leach" test.

Put the filings into the vial and add a little hydrochloric (muriatic) acid. Then add a little bit of household bleach and wait a little bit. Shouldn't take that long. A little heat can speed things up but be careful the glass doesn't break if using the sample vial. Maybe hold the vial in some hot water or use a hair dryer. This will make some chlorine gas so do this in a well ventilated area like outside and don't breathe the fumes

The solution should turn yellow if it is gold but other things can also give that color (?iron?) and other metals can cause different colors if they are also included in the sample.

Now you need some stannous chloride test solution. A small amount can be quickly made with some hydrochloric acid (HCl) and a little piece of solder. Lead-free solder would be best but regular 60/40 lead solder should work if it is all you have. Same deal with the stannous chloride, a little heat can help get things started but may not be needed.

Then Take a drop or two of your acid/bleach from your test and put it in a white plastic spoon or dip a Q-tip into the solution. Add a drop or two of your stannous chloride to the spoon NEVER to be used for eating/cooking again! or Q-tip and if you have gold it should turn purple or black.

This test has worked for me and only uses only a mL or two of acid for a quick test.

Edited to add warnings and other info

Geologists often uses an easy test, the streak test.

Rub it against an unglazed piece of porcelain, for example a fuse, pyrite gives a black streak with a green tint, chalcopyrite gives a black streak and gold smears and leaves a yellow metallic streak.

My guess is pyrite or marcasite, a common mineral in sedimentary rocks.

Göran

Not too sure by looking at the picture.
If you dont have a testing kit. Try and find a dark piece of stone with a very smooth surface.
Scrape the meterial on the stone and it should leave some kind of yellowish or metallic mark on the stone.
Drop a very small amount of nitric acid on the mark.
If the mark on the stone remains, there may be/ should be gold in your ore.

Hope thathelps

Latest posts

Back