Can I cement < 20 micron silver particles from silver nitrate using Copper? Do dispersants help?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant remeber exact volumes but it was minimal few mL per litre of each. There are a few papers on using this and other tergitol combinations. The order of addition makes no difference. However for best results it must be added before the reductant. I think both either end up washed out in the mother liquor and washings or burn off at low temperatures if adhered to the silver giving minimal carbon conatmination after firing.

You could wash the silver powder with ethanol to remove residual organic also
This makes total sense, Platz. I will try the tergitol organic route after I experiment further with my purely inorganic physical constraints (stirring shear force, temperature, and dilution). FYI, I am planning to try one additional physical constraint, which I should have thought of, earlier: Using finely-divided copper as reductant instead of solid copper plate/bar. We'll see. My "known unknown" in this scenario is the possible hydrophobic nature of bare metals like copper when they are finely divided. Wetting agents might come into play at that point, so I might as well try tergitol organics with the copper reductant if I run into hydrophobic copper at the powder level.

This makes total sense, Platz. I will try the tergitol organic route after I experiment further with my purely inorganic physical constraints (stirring shear force, temperature, and dilution). FYI, I am planning to try one additional physical constraint, which I should have thought of, earlier: Using finely-divided copper as reductant instead of solid copper plate/bar. We'll see. My "known unknown" in this scenario is the possible hydrophobic nature of bare metals like copper when they are finely divided. Wetting agents might come into play at that point, so I might as well try tergitol organics with the copper reductant if I run into hydrophobic copper at the powder level.
Stirring will be the case - and also dilution. With high dilution and rapid stirring, particle size would be certainly smaller than from concentrated solutions staying still.
Cementing with powdered copper could definitely work - even without wetting agents. Be careful and be sure you use excess of silver in solution, to consume the copper as fully as possible :)

Stirring will be the case - and also dilution. With high dilution and rapid stirring, particle size would be certainly smaller than from concentrated solutions staying still.
Cementing with powdered copper could definitely work - even without wetting agents. Be careful and be sure you use excess of silver in solution, to consume the copper as fully as possible :)
Hi, Orvi. Yes, thanks. I have already gotten some excellent results from high dilution with rapid stirring (in a low-ph solution, to boot). The mostly-fine particle sizes were only ruined by crusts of solid silver metal that preferentially formed in the lee of the copper bar where the fluid shear was not strong. Regarding your suggestion to "use excess of silver in solution," I have already wondered how visual inspection might be able to tell how much copper powder was still in suspension. There should be a slight color shift as copper powder gives way to silver powder.

I don't know if you would be able to detect copper in suspension by color, but you could test the precipitated silver. Take a small sample of the silver cement and add a small amount of nitric acid. Any copper in the cement should give a blue tint to the acid.

If you're in doubt as to whether you're really seeing a blue tint, take a couple drops of the acid solution and add a few drops of ammonia. If there is copper, the blue color will intensify. Be sure to promptly reacidify the test sample to avoid creating any explosive compounds.

Dave

I don't know if you would be able to detect copper in suspension by color, but you could test the precipitated silver. Take a small sample of the silver cement and add a small amount of nitric acid. Any copper in the cement should give a blue tint to the acid.

If you're in doubt as to whether you're really seeing a blue tint, take a couple drops of the acid solution and add a few drops of ammonia. If there is copper, the blue color will intensify. Be sure to promptly reacidify the test sample to avoid creating any explosive compounds.

Dave
Thanks for the pro tip, Dave, with the nitric acid and ammonia tests. Also, not blowing up (accidental silver fulminate, I imagine.) --K

Thanks for the pro tip, Dave, with the nitric acid and ammonia tests. Also, not blowing up (accidental silver fulminate, I imagine.) --K
Just to clarify - silver fulminate can be unintentionally made by adding alcohol to a silver nitrate solution due to a CNO ion (fulminate ion) being attached to an Ag ion --- Silver fulminate = AgCNO

There are a number of other silver explosive compounds that exist &/or can be created

Examples - silver nitride - silver azide - silver acetylide --- these silver explosive compounds are sometime referred to as "fulminating" silver - which is not the same thing as silver fulminate

Silver nitride is created when silver is complexed with ammonia ------

Silver nitride - Wikipedia

Kurt

Just to clarify - silver fulminate can be unintentionally made by adding alcohol to a silver nitrate solution due to a CNO ion (fulminate ion) being attached to an Ag ion --- Silver fulminate = AgCNO . There are a number of other silver explosive compounds that exist &/or can be created. Examples - silver nitride - silver azide - silver acetylide --- these silver explosive compounds are sometime referred to as "fulminating" silver - which is not the same thing as silver fulminate. Silver nitride is created when silver is complexed with ammonia.
Thank you, kurtak, for these important safety distinctions. I did not know. --K

Use ascorbic acid to precipitate the silver from your silver nitrate

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/mesh-size-of-gold-drop.30845/page-2#post-324075
In this link - read my post - (the fifth post up from the bottom) it has several links in that post about making PMC - Edit; - I see when you click on the link it goes right to my post with the other links - other links are at bottom of my post

Some of them show precipitating silver from silver nitrate with ascorbic acid to get 20 micron & finer silver particles to make PMC with

Kurt
Been digging around the internets. Thank you so much for your knowledge on this other person's post.

Back