Can Someone Identify The Composition of This Powder?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapparts

Hello members,

I have some powder that I acquired in June 2019 that is used to deplate gold-plated items. The source where this powder was acquired has all but fell off the face of the earth.

I had been using this powder to deplate faded gold plated jewelry, then those same items would be plated either gold, bronze, silver and copper (whatever look customers want).

I have very little of this powder left (around 50 grams) and if someone can accept it, I will send approximately 10 grams for you to analyze. I put some under a microscope and I think there are at least 3 different elements to the powder, but I'm not sure.

Let me know what you will charge to do this. If I can't get the make up of this powder, I won't be able to continue doing deplating and replating jewelry for my customers.

Thanks for reading this.
scrapparts

snoman701 said:
Can you better describe the technique used for deplating? Acidic or basic?
You add the powder to distilled water, mix it until the powder is all dissolved, then you place the items to deplate in the solution for approximately 30 seconds, then you take the items out of the solution. By then, all the gold plating will be totally stripped from the item.

Hope that helps you
scrapparts

There's a 3-components gold deplating mixture, protected by a patent
https://patents.google.com/patent/CN103668204A/en

Lino1406 said:
There's a 3-components gold deplating mixture, protected by a patent
https://patents.google.com/patent/CN103668204A/en
The description appears to be of that powder I have now. The problem is that I can't seem to find it anywhere. I wonder if the patent holder sells the powder.

I will have to try to find more powder or try something else.

Thanks for the info.
scrapparts

Latest posts

Back