cant identify a part

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moses

Hello everyone I've looked and looked online I didn't wanna have to ask here because I ask enough refining questions as it is and I'm thankful for that alone, but I don't know what these are called or if I should throw them away list the. for sale or if there are any good metals in there, I don't know what they are called to look them up and what's written on them doesn't help one group has rubber on the outside the others are ceramic, they are on am old transistor curve tracer, I say that like I know what that is lol not a clue. thanks Moses

Attachments

• 17127930115401293455130722183222.jpg
    17127930115401293455130722183222.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 17127931733042586051183313889929.jpg
    17127931733042586051183313889929.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
In your second picture the part that I circled in green will have either silver or silver palladium alloy contacts inside of the black plastic canister.
On very rare occasions I have found gold contacts inside of them.
Most of the ones that I have found gold contacts in are on natural gas or propane water heaters.
20240410_221605.jpg

In your posts you have posted pictures of some old equipment, this is the type of equipment that I like to harvest parts from for refining.
Not all of this type of equipment will have a lot of precious metals but some of it is phenomenal.

Those parts you found might be old transistors or other electronic components. The rubber-coated ones could be variable capacitors. It's hard to tell without more information.

Hello everyone I've looked and looked online I didn't wanna have to ask here because I ask enough refining questions as it is and I'm thankful for that alone, but I don't know what these are called or if I should throw them away list the. for sale or if there are any good metals in there, I don't know what they are called to look them up and what's written on them doesn't help one group has rubber on the outside the others are ceramic, they are on am old transistor curve tracer, I say that like I know what that is lol not a clue. thanks Moses
If I am not mistaken those are power resistors, the size indicates that the main component is some kind of wire, most of the cases those are nikkelin (nikchrome) wire and ceramic composit coating for a better heat dissipation.
In the first picture it ranges from 50 to 500 ohm and a few watts. Ex: first two contacts have 50 ohms, first and third 300 ohms, first and last 500 ohm.
I don`t think there is much PM`s in it. but looks cool though.

Pete

You can't have tried much.
A quick Google search for: tektronix 308-0109-00
gives results, maybe not for the 0109 but at least for 0107 and then this one would probably be in the same class of components.

Ain't so hard to smash one and toss it into acid maybe see what happens maybe you get a beautiful colored solution 😅 .

Why don't we all stop replying to this person until he answers our questions. He will spew out a new subject every day. Stop feeding it! it's bordering to trolling imo.

@Moses: how about showing us that safe workspace and your responsible dealing with waste and not throwing away that toxic vinegar and H2O2 waste down the drain?

You want answers? I do too! lets start with some mutual respect.

In your second picture the part that I circled in green will have either silver or silver palladium alloy contacts inside of the black plastic canister.
On very rare occasions I have found gold contacts inside of them.
Most of the ones that I have found gold contacts in are on natural gas or propane water heaters.
View attachment 62374
Isn't that a thermistor?
just a sensor, no contacts...

They are both fixed power resistors. Both can be found in the Tektronix Common Design Catalogs over on TekWiki. Same goes for most semiconductors (transistors, ICs, and diodes) and other devices. Documentation for all but the latest Tek equipment is FREE and readily available.

Most older Tektronix equipment has value that exceeds any PM content - price it out on eBay SALES (not listings, which are often exaggerated). Many of the vacuum tubes used by Tektronix are Amperex, and many of those command high prices due to theie desire by the audiophool crowd. Trust me, there are many ways to make money with Tek equipment without ever harvesting a single gram of PMs.

BTW, most power resistors use nichrome wire which in fired substrates is virtually unusable or without value.
As to the thermal switch mentioned, again, very little PMs, and often cadmium is present, so proceed with caution. The bimetal strip contacts are mostly common metals with no real value.

Why don't we all stop replying to this person until he answers our questions. He will spew out a new subject every day. Stop feeding it! it's bordering to trolling imo.

@Moses: how about showing us that safe workspace and your responsible dealing with waste and not throwing away that toxic vinegar and H2O2 waste down the drain?

You want answers? I do too! lets start with some mutual respect.
I certainly agree, he needs to learn how the basics of refining and safety work before he starts tossing crap into beakers full of acid !!!!

BTW, most power resistors use nichrome wire which in fired substrates is virtually unusable or without value.
The nichrome alloy has a very high nickel content.
up to 80%.
Nickel is an expensive metal, more expensive than copper.
they buy it as recyclables...the whole question is in quantity...
There is also, in old technology, probably a permalloy alloy,
different screens and transformer cores....

Isn't that a thermistor?
just a sensor, no contacts...

It appears to be a thermal safety switch, for over temperature protection or as a thermostat depending how it’s being used. It would have contacts but my assumption is they’re likely silver, possibly plated with gold.

Back