casting gold question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all, im new to refining and have gotten a good first batch of gold from some karat scrap, ill be doing several more over the next few weeks and the process of refining is starting to unveil its wonders to me. I have a problem though, i've bought some graphite molds off of ebay and i've heard that you have to dust them with graphite powder or something similar. I'm not too sure on this and couldnt find much on the forums, so i'm not sure if i need to dust it or not.
Here is a description of the mold:
Made from High Density - Fine Grain Graphite Dimensions: Outside 1.625" x 2.25" x .5" Cavity .066" deep x .75" x 1.0" at bottom Designed for easy ingot removal with 10 degree tapered sides.

Would anyone like to clarify this for me?

Hi Garrett!
My expirience with graphite is to keep it clean & free of moisture. If you pre-heat the mold, the finished product will be smooth.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=7329&hilit=gold+sphere&start=100#p71442

Cast iron molds or steel molds need a coat of carbon. You can use some oil, or the soot from an acetelyne torch...
If you do some searches, you'll find some great information on the subject!

Take care!

Phil

that is awesome! haha
and thank you very much thats exactly what i needed to know, i bought some molds because i found some great deals on ebay on scrap gold jewelry and it looks like im all set up for business

Latest posts

Back