Casting Rhodium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really do not know about the Copper content, but I assume it will still be there.
Either stop the cementing before it is complete or leach out the Copper with Nitric (Pt will follow Pd into solution so I do not know if this is good)
or Ammonia (Hope someone chimes in, if it's not sound advice) to remove the excess Copper.

What purity do you aim for?
For this melt? My goal is to be able to quantify the values to a (+/- 5%) accuracy with XRF.

Long term? Perfection. Few aspects of life and/or science hold my curiosity like this.

Short term? Melted metal, that will allow me to roughly quantify the recovered amount of PGMs from my raw materials.

Edit for clarification

Edited by moderator, removed double quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
For this melt? My goal is to be able to quantify the values to a (+/- 5%) accuracy with XRF.

Long term? Perfection. Few aspects of life and/or science hold my curiosity like this.

Short term? Melted metal, that will allow me to roughly quantify the recovered amount of PGMs from my raw materials.

Edit for clarification

Ok, so then the Nitric route for removing Copper is a no go.

Since it is relatively pure from ceramic substrate, Zinc or Auminum cementing could be acceptable.
Much easier to clean up.

For the melting, the Copper block and Tig solution is the easiest.

If you bring a Copper block and powder to welding shop, they can do it, I guess.

Then you would not need to invest in a HF Tig machine.
High Frequency is better, since the Tungsten electrode do not need to touch anything for initial igniting of the plasma arc.
Just make sure the gas flow don't spread your powder.

Edit for clarification

Another thing is that if it is going to be further refined, powder is preferred, as it is much easier to put back into solution.

Another thing is that if it is going to be further refined, powder is preferred, as it is much easier to put back into solution.

Since it is relatively pure from ceramic substrate, Zinc or Auminum cementing could be acceptable.
Much easier to clean up.

If you bring a Copper block and powder to welding shop, they can do it, I guess.

High Frequency is better, since the Tungsten electrode do not need to touch anything for initial igniting of the plasma arc.

Much easier to clean up.

Pelletizing the powder mechanically while dry…would that prevent blowing away?

Edit for clarity

Latest posts

Back