Cement silver won't work in a silver cell, correct?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgolgert

Since every video I've seen, has folks turning cement silver into shot and then loading up the anode basket, I assume cement silver won't conduct well or will leak through the basket cloth or some equally horrid problem. Anybody know what the exact issue is?

Since every video I've seen, has folks turning cement silver into shot and then loading up the anode basket, I assume cement silver won't conduct well or will leak through the basket cloth or some equally horrid problem. Anybody know what the exact issue is?
Mostly contact and from there internal resistance in the mass.
You want to be able to control that the cell get proper current and voltage.

Pretty much what you said. The mud doesn’t offer very much surface area for the electrolyte to make contact with and the finely powdered cement mud would be able to pass through most filter materials, contaminating the electrolyte and any silver crystal that plates out in the cell. Shot or flake is a much better form.

Has anyone acutally tried using cement silver and a darcon filter bag? The worst that could happen is that you have to cement out your electrolyte which you were probably going to be doing any way?

Answered twice out of two replies. But, the answer is “not very well at all”. That is why most melt it into shot or bars before hand.

Has anyone acutally tried using cement silver and a darcon filter bag? The worst that could happen is that you have to cement out your electrolyte which you were probably going to be doing any way?
The answer is yes, it has been tried and doesn’t work at all. All you will accomplish is the rapid contamination of your electrolyte.

Back