cementing the stock pot

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lazersteve said:
If your stock pot solution is hungry for more copper why not use it to dissolve more base metals from gold plated scrap? Place the copper based scrap in an acid proof bag or cloth and allow the solution to dissolve more metal while making more gold foils at the same time.

Steve
Pretty hard to find anything wrong with that logic!

Harold

Harold_V said:
Using copper in a solution that does not test positive for values makes no sense.

I feel you do not understand the intent of the stock pot. I can think of NO reason to apply copper unless the solution tests positive. Otherwise you can expect the loss of copper, just as you'd expect any metal to dissolve in the presence of acids.

Simply stated, the stock pot is used to recover traces of values that may not be recoverable by other means, or that are so dilute that conventional methods don't yield expected results (very common with the platinum group). Scrap steel is generally used, although if one hopes to eliminate copper recovery, then (and only then) the use of copper is advised.

If you have solutions that test barren of values, scrap steel is the metal of choice. It removes dissolved copper, which should never be discharged to a drain system.

Harold

Hi my thought was we must add any of waste solution that touch gold, silver or pgms to stock pot
According to this post I have 2 question
1- Assume we have some waste solution from gold refining process. We test it with stannous chloride and the test is negative for gold and pgms . So do you transfer this solution to copper stock pot or iron stock pot?

And about Silver
2- If we have some nitrate solution without any gold and pgms, do we must test it with some hcl and if the test was positive transfer it to copper stock pot? I don't think hcl testing detect few traces of silver nitrate in solution

Thanks

Is these true?
Transfer waste solution from silver cementation to copper stock pot ( don't need a test )

Test waste solution from silver chloride process and if test was negative for silver transfer it to iron stock pot

Test waste solutions with stannous chloride and if test was positive transfer solutions to copper stock pot and if test was negative transfer them to iron stock pot

Back