cementing with copper

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i have a chloride solution containing pd and copper----i am trying to cement out the pd with a copper tube(from air conditioners)----- some black pd is cementing(it takes a long time) ,but when i lifted the cu tube i found in its tip a formation of a white sticky gluysh powder------question:what is this powder? could it be cucl?

thanks for any help,
Arthur

Arthur while not an expert or even a decent chemist I believe that the powder is precisely what you suspect and I know exactly what you mean about cementing Pd from low concentration solutions.
A little hydrochloric added to your solution should redissolve the white/ grey powder but as it's my advice I'd try a small sample first and see if it works before adding it to your main solution.

I believe I have had something similar when I cemented platinum from dilluted solution (about 1g Pt/L). Lowering the pH just 1 step by adding HCl, then all mess dissolved and my Pt cemented again.

Exactly as platdigger said, by not smashing and closing the end off you risk the chance of Pd crystals forming inside your pipe that you will not be able to see or possibly get out.

Tyler

stupid of me----i did not smash flat the cu pipe-----thanks Platdigger ---now i will have to dissolve all the pipe to free the pd powder that was inside the hole-----
Thanks
Arthur

If it were me I would just cut the pipe up and bend it so I can clean the inside with some glasswool or just put some glasswool onto a stick or a chain and sendit through the pipe several times, - just like cleaning a gun barrel. Though I have no experience with palladium yet, but with my platinum it would have worked.

Hey .guys!
I take a big pair of metal shears and cut one inch copper pipe length-wise and then stand it on end and pounda masonry chisle down the crack to spread it then use two pair of vise-grips to open it up into a flt sheet of copper.
artart47

Latest posts

Back