Ceramic Cpu's

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I dissolved all the processors together to eliminate base metals.So I'm unsure which had silver content.When filtering though I noticed the filter was turning purple under my shoplight.I dissolved all the sediment in the filter with nitric again and cemented with copper plate.Not much silver but it still made processing harder.

HCL peroxide to start with. Silver chloride dosen't then dissolve in nitric.

Something dosen't sound right to me.

Coloidal gold perhaps?

Any tin solder on your CPUs?

I'm sure there was a lot of sn/au solder in the Cyrix cpus . All I know is it's a nitric dissolve of base metals from here on in because of the hcl/ap process making toomany problems!

Tin and lead troubles will follow you around; you need to know how to deal with these in whatever process you use with electronic waste.
See what Hoke's book teaches.

I've read it all but the amount of metals in E-waste seem to complicate all the methods in Hokes' teachings .

goaldspektre said:
I've read it all but the amount of metals in E-waste seem to complicate all the methods in Hokes' teachings .
The basic processes still work, you just have more "garbage" to address. So long as you limit the amount of tin (solder) from the material you process, it shouldn't present too much of a problem. If you do encounter a mess you can't handle, incineration followed by a digest in HCl will often eliminate much of the problem.

In my limited experiences with escrap, what I found to be the most trouble was filtration of the gold chloride. I found that to be a common issue with gold filled objects, too, such as a large number of eye glass frames. I used incineration and the HCl wash I spoke of, routinely, which totally eliminated any issues with filtration.

Harold

goaldspektre.

How are the members getting pure gold, and other valuable metals from electronic waste?

Studying Hoke's book, and learning to deal with all of these metals.

Studying the forum, and following Harold's, GSP, Laser Steve, and the other members advice.

Doing the homework needed.

And practice.

You have not read enough yet, keep reading till the light comes on.

Unless I am missing something, no one here recommends processing
ceramic CPUs with HCL / peroxide. Most here use nitric acid or poor
mans AR to FIRST dissolve the base metals. Then after washing with
water or incinerating to rid the cpus of the nitric acid, they will possibly
use HCL / peroxide to dissolve the gold into solution.

I have done this method and I know it works. Trying to dissolve the
gold AND everything else with it before eliminating the base metals will
only lead to problems.

Just my two cents worth. I hope you're not impervious to suggestions. 8)

Then after washing with
water or incinerating to rid the cpus of the nitric acid, they will possibly
use HCL / peroxide to dissolve the gold into solution.

As I recall acid peroxide doesn't respond well to precipitation with SMB, neither is it a first choice for base metals containing iron. Iron in AP is not self perpetuated with air in the same way that copper is. With copper base metals you continue using it until saturated or cement with copper.

Just a thoght....Ap process....and CPU....mainly kovar pins plated with gold.....where is the copper?
A HCl boil was best suitted for the process.

goaldspektre said:
Finally refined the lot and got 21 grams gold.
This does not sound close to accurate.You mentioned Kovar earlier,was all 25 pounds ceramic?Or did you have pentium 2's and 3's in there?If they were all ceramic,then you did not recover all of the gold.

MY thoughts as well Mic. I thought it was low as well. even taking the lids into account.

Latest posts

Back