Chloride - SMB strange reaction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Added SMB to some of my chloride and came up with a canary yellow liquid, what went wrong here.

I need some advice to correct the problem. PH is ( 1 )

Attachments

• 100_7449.JPG
    100_7449.JPG
    530.5 KB
What was the source material?

Did you test the liquid with stannous chloride before precipitation?

Steve

lazersteve said:
What was the source material?

Did you test the liquid with stannous chloride before precipitation?

Steve

My stannous from ebay still has not arrived, it's been a month now. The vendor is going to reship this order but does me no good for the moment.

I have a 1 lb pure tin bar that I tried making test solution from and getting poor results with known gold solutions. One test came up brown, thinking this could be a false positive heated to solution to drive off any excess sulfur dioxide, test still came up brown. Maybe my tin bar is not as pure as the manufacture claims.

The leach recovered has been in AR more than a week, no red fumes just the acid working on metals.

From the yellow solution took a small sample - test tube with copper wire a black participate is showing on the wire.

I realize working with out stannous test solution is stupid on my part, the small test tube sample of only a few grams of the cons showed great promise with approximately 1/3 of the weight precipitated out as gold yet I'm unable to recover any from my leach.

After adding SMB the leach immediately turned yellow, a white precipitate is now finally settling out and the original color is returning on a watered down sample. We'll see what it looks like in the morning.

If there was any cadmium were present there would have also been silver chloride which there is none. So I think it is safe to exclude cadmium.

Captobvious said:
rusty said:
Figured out what went wrong.

Care to expound on that? I know I'm curious what happened in case I run into it myself in the future ;)

No gold present.

However I'm still stumped with the canary yellow SMB reaction then the red stannous reaction.

I do not think you have much to worry about repeating this problem I created for myself.

Stannous against a know gold solution freshly made up this evening.

Attachments

• 100_7457.JPG
    100_7457.JPG
    281.3 KB
I had the exact same looking stuff just from adding a bit of water to a ceramic chip reaction in AR one time. It was very starange as it only happened to me once and I had done the same thing to the same chips several times. It was a fine insoluable yellow powder that was a bright yellow just like your pics.

Latest posts

Back