Chlorox substitute

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tub Buster

Recently the Chlorox company has begun adulterating their bleach products with a number of ingredients, which are listed here:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/ingredients-inside/

Among them:

Cetyl betaine is a surfactant used in cleaning and laundry products. Beyond its general ability to clean soils, is used to thicken cleaning formulas and stabilize foam.

Sodium polyacrylate is used in laundry detergents to prevent soils from depositing on fabrics during the laundry cycle.

Sodium xylene sulfonate is generally used to stabilize other ingredients in a cleaning product to maximize effectiveness of the formula. It is also useful as a co-thickener (in combination with other ingredients) in cleaning products.

These ingredients pollute the gold when used in the classic HCl+Chlorox process, and incidentally they are a hazard when Chlorox bleach is used to disinfect drinking water.

Unfortunately, other brands of bleach are also incorporating these adulterating ingredients.

Does anyone have suggestions as to substitutes for Chlorox? I've tried "pool shock" (calcium hypochlorite). It also seems to contain ingredients not listed on the label, which interfere with gold refining.

Can sodium hypochlorite be purchased alone? Perhaps I should be generating chlorine externally and piping it into the gold bearing material?

I don't buy brand name bleaches for two reasons.... It usually costs more and they contain unwanted additives.
I buy cheap generic bleach from the dollar store and it does the job just fine. A gallon jug will last me a couple of years for the amount I process here.

Yep, what he said. Brand name cost more and has all that "stuff" added. Get the store brand at Walmart, etc. it's just plain bleach.

Be aware that some off brand's of bleach for home use can contain more iron than others. We ran into this 10 to 12 years ago when bleaching raw cotton material's. The higher iron content bleach left the cotton with an off white color compared to commercial chemical bleach's. I can't say what the effects may or may not be, just passing it along from personal experience in the cotton industry.

Shark said:
Be aware that some off brand's of bleach for home use can contain more iron than others. We ran into this 10 to 12 years ago when bleaching raw cotton material's. The higher iron content bleach left the cotton with an off white color compared to commercial chemical bleach's. I can't say what the effects may or may not be, just passing it along from personal experience in the cotton industry.

WOOHOO!!!! Roll Tide !!

Hey Jeff, when dissolving foils with bleach that may contain trace amounts of things like iron, it should not effect the overall purity of the dropped gold. Iron oxides and hydroxides are removed in the final washes should any make it that far.

And for you Bama fans. :lol: http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/21/alabama-fan-punches-titans-quarterback-while-screaming-roll-tide/

That is good to know, Geo, at least a cheaper bleach might save a little bit. Come to think of it, I am out of bleach now.

eaglewings35
Sounds like another 'Bama fan. :D

Latest posts

Back