Cl=clorox I thought it was....

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chlorox is a mixture of HcL and household bleach,which makes chlorine gas, and very effective for foils and powders but not good for larger items like karat scrap, it's also easier with a little patience to remove the oxidiser and allow easy precipitation of your gold.

Wait is chlorox a method... I kno NaClO+HCL= Cl gas

But Clorox is a brand name for sodium hypochlorite .

Isn't what your refering to a option to use in place of AR to desolve Au? The HCL/Cl method which is addition of HCL to NaClO sodium hypochlorite aka Clorox bleach?

Thats where the confusion is for me, I see it producing Cl gas (ive gassed my self before)! Long story

Hi Aztekshine!
This solution (HCl/Cl) is for disolving already clean gold. It's not for gold that still has a lot of base metals.
I recover my gold foils or flakes from pins after removing the base metals with acid/peroxide. Then I give the gold washes with hydrochloric acid and a few drops of sulfuric acid to make sure any remaining copper ,lead,tin..etc. has been removed. next a hot water wash to get any salts out of it.
Now it's time for HCl/Cl. Just enough hydrochloric acid to cover the gold and a little extra. I add A LITTLE CHLOROX AT A TIME! very important. it will foam up and overflow. do this outside and be upwind from it!. sometimes the chlorox will stop reacting after I add more but there is still a little undisolved gold I'll add a small amount of extra HCl and I'll get a further reaction.
If you have alot of base metals still in your gold and disolve it in HCl/Cl you will have problems later trying to drop your gold.
Hope this helps clear things up for you!
artart47

nickvc said:
Chlorox is a mixture of HcL and household bleach,which makes chlorine gas, and very effective for foils and powders but not good for larger items like karat scrap, it's also easier with a little patience to remove the oxidiser and allow easy precipitation of your gold.

This is where my confusion is.... Nick spelled it Chlorox, is that a term refering to the HCL / Cl method?
Because Clorox without a "h" is a brand of sodium hypochlorite

nick is in the UK - their brand of household bleach may have a different name, so I can see why his post is confusing. This illustrates why CHEMICAL names are safer than BRAND names when posting. A misspelled word or unfamiliar brand name could spell danger or worse for board members in countries other than our own.
For clarification - "HCl/Cl" is the board designation for "hydrochloric acid and chlorine gas" which gas is produced by reacting HCl with household bleach.
Just be sure to practice strict safety measures - just because the ingredients are common and easily located does not mean they are "safe" if used incorrectly. In the US there are fewer and inadequate warnings about household chemicals and their risks. Therefore we have to educate and protect ourselves, which I suppose we should be doing anyway.
Don't mean to rant - just my dos centavos
Dtectr
Edit: spelling due to T9 on my cell

Yeah by all means be safe at every level!

As a kid those two ingredients violently reacted in my mason "vessel" . I believe it's the original wwII crowd dispersant.
I'm pretty much still a kid. but it wasn't fun for me or my buddy sleeping on the couch!

AztekShine said:
but it wasn't fun for me or my buddy sleeping on the couch!

the couch? you mixed these to things indoors? chlorine gas is very toxic and can kill you. it causes pulmonary edema and you suffocate slowly even after exposure if the person is susceptible to irritants or has another respiratory problem.

Yep I learned alot tha day! Finished up on the porch the day after. And dripped instead of dumped.
If incould only tell you some stories, Geo! :twisted:

Latest posts

Back