Cold weather, Scrapping, .... You...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverFox

From a newbie prospective and as a backyard refiner I find this weather to be stopping my reactions well, COLD.

I was wondering how this was affecting others, and how to beat the weather.

I live in Florida so I really don't have any major issues, but I do own a few 5 gallon bucket heaters.

Google 'bucket heater' and be sure your buckets can handle the heat without melting before cranking one up.

Refining in a controlled environment with fume control is the best way to go.

Steve

Hey welcome in the club.

I live in The Great North so I experience this problem every year, during about 5 months.

My lab is not heated so everything freeze (exept some acids)

But I recentry tried what's called the «crockpot method» and I like it a lot. It is very effecient for e-scrap like CPUs.

You pour some HCl then let it dissolve base metals during 3 days on high. What's left is gold and insoluble material. Filter then dissolve in little AR.

It's a cheap way to recover gold from CPUs. If you want, I can post some pictures.

Yea im about to dissolve a half pound of cliped header pins using the crockpot method. I would like to know a lil more about it. Ive seen pics with a beaker surrounded with dirt in the crockpot. Does it act as an insulator?
Im in canada also and the weather just owned my AP reaction on 20 cpu's :(

Back