Color after cementing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wywiwyg2000

Does this solution look okay?
This is the result after cementing and washing. Hoke said, "It should be washed." I have washed three times, but have not boiled the solution in Nitric yet. Boiling is my next step. Every washing has created less red in the solution. I am assuming the red looking color is copper. The bottom powder is a light tan. I have tested the solution.

Thanks,
Gene

Attachments

• After cementing.jpg
    After cementing.jpg
    57.9 KB
its rust. - mixed oxide /hydroxide of iron which precipitates quantitavely at pH about 4.

you have dissolved some iron with your silver

I dont know how that can happen. I clean all instruments before using them. I looked at the finished product of "jquickshot" and the color in my filter looks the same as what he has in his vile?

stannous chloride test of solution?

As dilute as the solution is and solution not clear it does look like iron hydoxide, and whitish powders in bottom I think Sucho, is correct.

Since the solution is mixed oxide /hydroxide of iron, can well water add to this. I have clean well water, no rust, use softner, but, the well runs through a supher gas mine. Three separate times producing something I would have the rust in my process. Cementing, AR, and my first time trying another method before I joined and read Hoke's book. This is the same beaker after settling overnight. I can see the rust and what I thought would be gold. I have not boiled with Nitric yet. Will this be a wasted step now?

Gene

Attachments

• After settling.jpg
    After settling.jpg
    120.3 KB
What did you process to begin with? Did the original material contain any iron? What did you cement with? If you used copper to cement with there shouldn't have been any iron carry over. I think that I would check the solution for PM's and if none were present in solution I would drain off the liquid, re-dissolve and cement the values again, if there are any. I am fairly new to this, but that's what I would try. Try using bottled water just to see if it makes a difference.
You can always go to LazerSteves site and use his search and look up removing iron!

I started using distilled water after this round. I did not have any iron in my solutions or parts. I use a strong magnet first. I will look at his process. I was trying to recover from my mistakes before my reading and the Forum. I have 6 batches of powder. All with tan, two with blue ( I know this is copper now), and two with rust. I will go back to the reading all over.

Thanks,

Gene

as long as its still powder, the problem is easy to fix. dissolve in hcl/cl and precipitate. this should leave any iron and/or copper behind.

I can't believe I'm reading this thread.

At no time has mention been made of WHAT was processed. Not so much as a mention that it is gold or silver.

When you post, asking for advice, it is my opinion that the reader should not have to guess what the hell you're talking about.

I strongly advise that you now provide the needed information so those who understand can provide some guidance.

Harold

I apologize for asking and showing a process without the appropriate information. I will provide a studied review before I post an ambiguous message again. Thanks for the eye opener. Your input made think of all the years I spent in Engineering and Quality when someone would ask me, "what do I think about this?" And I would say, "what is THIS?"

Thanks,
Gene

wywiwyg2000 said:
I apologize for asking and showing a process without the appropriate information. I will provide a studied review before I post an ambiguous message again. Thanks for the eye opener. Your input made think of all the years I spent in Engineering and Quality when someone would ask me, "what do I think about this?" And I would say, "what is THIS?"

Thanks,
Gene

Well what was it?

Jim

My solution was from computer prongs, plates, and pins. I did have some of the pieces stick to the magnet. I had used another process (Shor) before I learned of the forum and read Hoke's book. My original AR solution was emerald green. I added the calculated amount of SMB and the solution turned a dark brown. I tested with stannous, which was dark positive and I added more SMB. I could not get a negative reading of the solution, because it stayed dark brown. I have 5 quarts of this solution. I canted the solution, rinsed with ammonium hydroxide, water, and DW. I dried the powder and it was this reddish color. I picked out some blue particles. I then tried a to melt the powder and it smoked green and blue. After melting, the pieces looked like copper. Through out my processing I aquired three separte powders: red, black, and brown. None of the three melted only smoked and turned to black ash. At this point I took some more of the original brown solution, rinsed with ammonium hydroxide, and some water. Stannous test was still positive. This batch solution turned back to a light emerald green. After my reading Hoke, I tried to cement the solution that I thought contained gold with solid copper wire. I knocked of the particles and when nothing else changed, I poured off and rinsed. This is the redish solution I showed in the picture and filter. After settling all night, the water was clear. I used a box cutter to cut the plastic off of the copper wire and I did not clean the wire first. My original solution was processed in my barn. My tools on the wall rusted. I kept the solution covered while it was processing. I don't know if any rust oxides could of dropped into the batch or it came from my original gold pins. To the best of my knowledge and notes; this is all I have for that process.

dark brown is not a positive test. its a false positive. too much SMB will cause a brown stannous test result as will copper in solution. the correct color of a positive test is a range of light purple to black. do you still have your test swab or did you take a picture of it?

Since my last post, I have removed the rust out of the beaker with HC/C. I then processed the washing according to Steve's instruction. I only used a small portion of my original batch. So my rust to gold has started to a small BB size. I could not get the picture to upload properly. My stannous test from my previous solution was always dark, like dark brown, but never a purple. I will test again, match a color, and take a picture.

Gene

wywiwyg2000 said:

Thanks,
Gene
Yep! You're welcome. I also noticed that you still refuse to add anything of substance to your post, so you're simply flapping your gums, wasting our time (certainly wasting mine).

I expect that you're not going to get much support with that kind of attitude. That's not how this forum works.

Harold

Latest posts

Back