computer parts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenic123

Hey guys hello again....
I got my hands of some computer stuffs which I am not sure about it. I am refining only RAM /FIngers for now but one scrap guy told me that you can recover Platinum and gold from the scrap he have. He sent me photos of it but as I said I am not sure which parts it is and which precious metals can be recovered from it. I am posting photos of it so that pro's can advise me on those items like at what rate I should buy it and how much quantity of precious metal like Platinum or Palladium can be recovered.

Attachments

• slot1_p2.jpg
    slot1_p2.jpg
    95.5 KB
  • Disassembled PC scrap.JPG
    Disassembled PC scrap.JPG
    566.7 KB
My eyes tells me the parts are cherry picked, and it is low valeou scrap now.I would have cherry picked it more, there are stell some flat packs left, with a estimate ,½ to a gram gold per kilo.
Platinium? A professionel refiner could maybe find a very little.
I can sell stuff like this for 0,35 euro per kilo in adverenge.
Henrik

The CPU:s have been cherry picked but the rest of the material seems to be okay. I wouldn't expect any platinum worth going after in this lot. Some palladium depending on the age of the computers, some gold (PCI fingers, gold plated pins, bond wires in chips). Sure, there are values left in it but the question is how much will it cost to extract it? Money and time.
Are you doing it manually or collecting to sell to a refinery?

Of the four boxes one seems to be mother boards, one PCI-cards, one floppy disc drives (mostly iron) and the final one full of power supplies (rarely any gold in this).
You can sell all of them directly to boardsort ( http://boardsort.com/payout.php ) and collect a profit in between if you buy it cheap enough and the shipping isn't killing you.

What you should pay for it? That question is totally up to you. Personally I would never pay more than boardsort and often not even close, especially if I have to pick up myself.

Göran

Yep, picked over for easy stuff. But some there.
I'd offer 25 cents /lb for the lot.
This would give you room to strip the metal and copper and about break even.
After this, pick off what you want and then pass it on or depopulate and sort for reselling for more $.
All depends on how much time you want to spend.

The more time you spend stripping down, the less your labor worth is but more profit in the bottom line.

For instance:
I know people that cut the wires off the power supplies and light iron the rest of the unit.
I open, cut the wires close to the board, pop off aluminum and anything I think would contain something PM wise,(little blue M&Ms), and any chips.

Here I get:
$.07/ lb for light iron
$.98/lb for insulated copper wire, ends cut off.
$.15/lb for copper baring which is the board and all coils attached.

I just did 30+ and probably took 6 hours, guess, to open and cut all the wires.
Now I need to chisel things off the board to separate and then scrap.

That's just the power supplies with no PM to harvest right away.

The cards, look to cut fingers, chips and pins for PMs
Then any aluminum, copper coils and copper baring to make something at the scrap yard to help pay for the load.

Figure scrap copper baring will bring under $.20/lb so I'd pay little more as is.
See what he thinks.

B.S.

Latest posts

Back