computer wiring

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patnor1011

Just from curiosity I would like to ask if there is any process how to separate tin from copper wires.
My friend is running recycling centre and he said that nearly all computer wiring is copper - even if that wire is silverish coloured - that supposed to be tin plated copper according to him. I think that he is right as he has that small portable x-ray machine and nearly everything goes through becouse he is determined to get most of everything he comes across.

So - if I will have loads of this tin plated copper wires I can get better price selling that to metal processing company if that is normal red coloured - am I right?
Is there some simple or easy method how to take tin out of that wires? They are usually very thin.
Any sugestions? Thanks for reading this.
Pat

No sense in beating a dead horse. Unless you have tireless hands and nothing but free time with nothing to do, it would just be easier to cut the ends off and sell the wire as it is. Make your money quick and move on.

My dad always used the saying, "Some people will stop to pick up pennies when dollar bills are flying over their heads!" It basically means dont waste your time on little stuff like tin coated copper, negotiate your best deal with the recycler and move on to something that will get you more money.

Thanks lads...
But, I am talking about biger operation here. I mean that when you will have about 1,500+ kg of computer wiring monthly it will be nicer to get 4.25 euro per kg than 0.50 euro cent per kg for that tiny wires with coating. That 4.25 euro you will get for stripped or granulated coper. My friend have machine which grind wire and then separate metal from plastic with watter flow and he has pure coper in powder....
Computer wires however looks like coper mixed with aluminium becouse of that tin silver colour...

goldsilverpro said:
. Great proverb, BTW.

I am not quite sure what this means....?
I still have some troubles with english as I am speaking this language only for last 3-4years... I am originally from Slovak Republic which is better known as Czechoslovakia in good old times......

Probably, an alkali like sodium hydroxide would work. A weak HCl would probably work. Tin is soluble in lots of things that copper isn't. You might find something that you could plate the tin out of and reuse the chemical.

Proverb, it is a "saying" or a lesson used to describe actions in life.

My proverb was "Some people will stop to pick up pennies when dollar bills are flying over their heads!"

if you really wanted to get fancy with your set up, rather than trying to strip the tin/aluminum/silvery alloy........just coat it with copper so it looks like copper. Some people will disagree with that action, and frankly I am too.

If you are just starting your opperation, I personally would take the easy way and give it to them for the .50 euro cent / kg just to get my cash flow started. As your business builds and expands, then you could explore into the stripping of the tin from copper.

thanks for explanation... I am thinking that Ill put them on a pile anyway along with tiny copper wires too becouse I want to purchase that grinding machine with watter flow separation... Ill get more money later when Ill sell them stripped rather than plastic coated - that machine is not a major investment you can get nice one for about 10-12k euros...

Thanks lads for answer again - and one last thing - this forum is one of the best I have ever seen, nice and proffesional people helping the other with no experience and tons of usefull informations...

Latest posts

Back