Contaminants in nitric acid dissolving+where to get nitric?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmarlow

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm sorry if there is already a topic covering this, but I have been unable to find it after searching, so please excuse my ignorance. So I am planning on dissolving circuit boards in nitric acid first (using a 50/50 solution of nitric and hydrogen peroxide, please speak up if this is a bad/incorrect method) to dissolve everything but gold and plastic which i can separate later. My question revolves around any problems I will be facing when trying to precipitate the silver from the used nitric acid. What other metals will precipitate out with the silver if I use copper? I already understand palladium will, but what about tin, lead, nickel, etc? Also what ever metals precipitate, will they be in large enough quantities to present a problem to the purity of the silver? If so, how may I remove any waste metals like tin, lead, nickel while only separating the solver from the palladium to melt down at a further point? Sorry if my demands are extraordinary, I'm new to this all and I'm just trying to understand everything before I do something stupid. One more thing, I am looking for nitric acid to use for this and aqua regia, and I have had awful luck finding it anywhere but online. I would prefer to buy in person as it is easier for me, so if anyone knows where i can buy some in the Metro Detroit area, please inform me, if no one is familiar of that area a generic "oh, I buy mine at the local XXXX store!" is extremely appreciated. To clear things up I will be dissolving whole circuit boards with the exception of the tiny battery cell-like things I pulled ocassionally on boards. Again I'm sorry for my poorly worded, and high demands but I am new to the entire process and need all the help I can get, all help is extremely appreciated, thanks in advance!

Well.....

Welcome to the forum.

What you are asking to do is not the best idea use the search box to look up the forums feeling on doing this. read, read, read, read, some more.

Nitric is cheap if you can get it and expensive to people asking questions like this because they aren't in a position to get it and its not readily sold to non business.
My advice is to sell your boards to a middleman and buy gold.

Good luck.

Eric

Research what "Tin" does when dissolved with nitric and understand that "tin" will be one of the most common metals on boards.

PS. your wanting to spend dollars to find pennies with this approach as you will clearly understand once you understand what you are proposing. All is here on this forum, you just have to search, read and understand what you are doing Before you try to do it.

Latest posts

Back