coper removal electroplating

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have searched and can,t find this so Im asking.
When I process my electronics I usualy use nitric first to get the silver and this also yields coper in the solution. I remove the silver with table salt then pour off the acid wash and use iron and h2so4 to convert to metalic silver.
I have read on here iron will drop the coper out of my nitric, but I haven't tried yet. I have been puting the blue nitric in a bottle and keeping it for disposal at a local hazmat collection office.

I was wondering if I use white distilled vinigar like some of the videos on youtube and a copper negative (probably a small piece of pipe) and the coper powder in the botom of the container with a piece of insulated wire going to the botom of the coper powder(striped on the end of course) if it would plate the copper out into something sellable as scrap? I don't care if it is just #2 I just think its beter than just trashing it.

Any help on an electrolite or beter methods would be appreciated.

Also could I nutralize the spent nitric with baking soda to make it non hazardous (as in less hazardous)to dispose of it in a beter methoud than paying to get rid of it? (as in pouring it down the drain)

4metals has a post in this thread for safely dealing with wastes.

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1300&p=40837&hilit=wastes#p40837

Lazersteve has a post for recycling and reusing copper nitrate. Look around some and you will find your answers. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back