Copper in laptop cooling system

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stella polaris

I have for some time had the idea that the gas filled copper pipes (connecting the processor mantle with the fan) sometimes might not be pure copper. It just do not look clean in my eyes. Now i have noticed a printing on some pipes; FOX 100521 Powder

Have tried the net but get no hit. Anyone that knows anything about it?

anachronism said:
I believe they are copper. They are exposed to the elements more in a laptop than a PC.

Yes, some are copper but some i am not sure its pure copper., It might be an alloy to get better properties in conductivity. A copper-silver alloy should give a better conductivity. What other alloys that can do this i do not know.

Laptops gets warm. I see a benefit in very good conductivity.

Standard copper tubing. .995-.999 fine, depending on the supplier. I had some checked several years ago at local scrapyard. No silver present. Not even in the solder.

Thermal conductivity is paramount in this application. Silver in a copper alloy will not aid this in any significant way.

Time for more coffee.

Thanks.

Might be diffrent production ways that give diffrent look. The Powder might be the copper powder on the inside of the tube. No idea if its there to give better heat transfere to the water/gas or to prevent frost damage if water.

Heat pipes are truly impressive.
Thermal conductivities 200 times that of pure copper is possible in some applications.

The Wikipedia entry about them is worth reading.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

Back