Copper recovery from copper sulphate solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tawanda

Hie
I have a small claim where i am getting 6% copper oxide ore. Labs have shown i can get 96% leachability in 20g/l sulphuric acid over 5hrs at a 1:4 solid:liquid ration.
Ive tried cementation using scrap metal which is cheap here but my fear is i will have too much waste ferrous sulphate which i dont know what to do with. Our waste water plants prefer aluminium sulphate.
Is there any way i can break that down to get water for reuse or maybe convert it to sulphuric acid.
Pls bear in mind this is a very small, low cost family operation so need the cheapest or basic solution.
Option 2 is to make a diy electrowinning cell to cater for 4000litres copper sulphate solution at a go. With a 10g/l copper sulphate solution, 6volts power, 50cm/50cm anode and cathode, no heating or stirring how long would it take to recover all that copper in solution.
Or if i adsorb it on activated carbon how much copper can 1kg of activated carbon carry.
Im not very chemically or technically inclined so i hope the questions make sense

Hie
I have a small claim where i am getting 6% copper oxide ore. Labs have shown i can get 96% leachability in 20g/l sulphuric acid over 5hrs at a 1:4 solid:liquid ration.
Ive tried cementation using scrap metal which is cheap here but my fear is i will have too much waste ferrous sulphate which i dont know what to do with. Our waste water plants prefer aluminium sulphate.
Is there any way i can break that down to get water for reuse or maybe convert it to sulphuric acid.
Pls bear in mind this is a very small, low cost family operation so need the cheapest or basic solution.
Option 2 is to make a diy electrowinning cell to cater for 4000litres copper sulphate solution at a go. With a 10g/l copper sulphate solution, 6volts power, 50cm/50cm anode and cathode, no heating or stirring how long would it take to recover all that copper in solution.
Or if i adsorb it on activated carbon how much copper can 1kg of activated carbon carry.
Im not very chemically or technically inclined so i hope the questions make sense
Welcome to us.
You still need to concentrate the ore and smelt the copper into anodes for the cell.
This forum is mainly for Gold and other PMs but we discuss the others as well.
Read the safety section of the forum and then dealing with waste.

Oh, apologies, i thought you dealt with other minerals as you have a non ferrous section, under which i posted.
Thank you

Oh, apologies, i thought you dealt with other minerals as you have a non ferrous section, under which i posted.
Thank you
Copper cells are a frequent topic, so we do discuss others to.
But as said, the main topic is precious metals😏

Electrowin the copper using stainless steel sheets. Search YouTube and you can find many examples of small cells being used for such. Many smaller countries in Southeast Asia are quite good at doing this on a small scale. Many of them run plating cells of 100 gallons set up to run multiply cells rather than one large sell. One of the best I saw on YouTube has been taken down after the owner died. He ran 25 cells of 100 gallons each, mined his own land, built most of the things he needed and bought those small cells used from eBay.

Lovely, thank you for that. I shall focus my search on solutions from asian
You have to be extra careful with these Youtube videos.
Many are crap and full of incorrect information, so make sure you double check the info you find in there with other sources.

Electrolytic cell, copper as an example:

Amperage is important (voltage has little consequence for the most part) and almost becomes unimportant in comparison. amperage determines how much metal moves through the cell, with that and knowing the metal and its molecular weight we can determine how much time to move the copper from the anode to the cathode

The copper anode of fairly high purity is to be dissolved and plated out as a more pure product electrowinning of copper.

The anode is the sight of oxidation (loss of electron) where the copper metal or other metals are forced by your DC power supply to cause the electrochemical reaction that would not occur otherwise, into giving up its electrons, the metal atoms on the loss of electrons dissolve going into solution as Ion's or salt of that metal, along with a salt of the electrolyte used (sulfite ions, from sulfuric in the example using copper sulfate).

The copper anode will have several metals involved, we will call them impurity metals for discussion, some valuable, some not, some that will remain in electrolyte solution as ions some that will fall out of solution as anode slime or mud, as salts or elemental metals.

Of the several metals, it is the amperage (not voltage) or current flow that selects the metals one at a time (in a certain order of oxidation by their (Standard electrode potentials), ( the more reactive the metal the easier it will give up its electrons), zinc, iron, nickel, lead, copper, silver, gold, what does not form ionic solution precipitates as mud anode slimes.

Silver and gold being more reactive than copper will only be affected after copper, and will only be oxidized or released after the copper metal atoms are oxidized into solution and precipitate as mud or anode slime.

More reactive metals Zn, Fe, Ni, and Pb, more easily oxidized than copper atoms will react or goes into solution before copper (into solution as ions if soluble in the medium) (or as mud, such as lead sulfate salts).

After these metals are in solution as ions in an ionic solution, their disposition onto the cathode (the sight of reduction or gain of the electrons) or plating out at the anode, where the metal ions gain electrons to be converted from a salt of the metal to elemental metal atom, this reactions also takes place in a specific order Au, Ag, Cu, Pb, Fe, Zn, this is dependent on current (amps), electrolyte, temperature, voltage, anode metals involved, condition of the anode...

Too high of a current (amps) can cause more or all metals to deposit or plate out (alloying the cathode) or contaminate it.
The more neutral (basic) the easier the more electronegative metals to be deposited.

The same can be said of the electrolyte, the poorer it is in copper (if the copper anode has more impurity metals or metals other than copper), These are more easily oxidized at the anode or more easily to be reduced at the cathode.
The purer the copper anode involved, the purer the electrolyte, the less dense and compact the anode, and the easier the process will go,

Being more important than voltage, The amperage is the driving force of the cell, the amperage is a result of the resistance of the electrolytic in the cell which conditions can change, the electrical connection resistance internal and external, and the voltage of the power supply needed to overcome this resistance and any overvoltage potential to overcome these forces.

The size of the electrode surface area helps us to determine the current or amperage range we need.

Example: CuSO4 electrolyte, 68 degrees, 3 parts CUSO4, 10 parts H2SO4, diluted 10 times water, current then adjusted to plate.
Maximum current limit to 1 amp per 33 centimeters or about 5 square inches, or 30 amps per square foot of cathode area. (The purer anode needs a higher current).

How much time?
Copper, Atomic weight 63.55 grams per mole (mol or mole a measure like a dozen of eggs) (a mole can be a measure of electrons, ions, molecules, sheep going through a gate...).

From the electrode potential of copper (reduction of copper in this case).
Cu2+ + 2e- --> Cu (s) Electrode potential +0.34 volts (reduction or gain of electrons at the cathode in this case.
From this, we see to form one mole of copper (63.55 grams of copper deposit on the cathode). We will need to move 2 moles of electrons or two faradays (2e-).

1 amp current X 1 second of time = 1 coloumb
96485.3383 coulombs = one faraday
1 faraday per mole

one mole elcectons 6.022x1023
each electron carries a negative charge 1.6021x10-19

(one mole elcectons 6.022x1023) X ( each electron carries a negative charge 1.6021x10-19) = onne faraday 96485 coulombs

One faraday oxidizes or reduces one mole of the atomic weight of the substance (copper in our case.

From the equation, we see we need two moles of electrons or two faradays to deposit a mole of copper ( 63.5 grams of copper metal at the cathode.

Cu2+ + 2e- --> Cu (s)

So get to the answer. How much time to deposit an amount of copper?

Example;
Say we are running the cell at 2.5 amps (determined by our cathode size) (voltage of the cell is not important except to overcome cell resistance to give us our desired current (amp) flow through the circuits). Using CuSO4 copper sulfate electrolyte, and running the cell for 50 minutes time how much copper will deposit?

Cu2+ (copper sulfate) + 2e- (2 moles of electrons or two faradays needed to move or 2x96478 coulombs) --> Cu (s) (deposit of a mole of copper metal 63.5grams)
How many coulombs passed?
Coulombs? = 50 minutes X 60seconds/1minute X 2.5 amps/second = 7.50 X 103 coulombs

grams of copper deposited
7.50x103 coulombs x 1mol e-/96478 x 63.5g Cu/2mol e-
=24.7g copper metal deposited onto the cathode, running 2.5 amps for 50 minutes

How long? How many minutes will it take to deposit 150 grams of copper running the copper sulfate cell at 4.75 amps?

150 grams of copper to be deposited/63.546grams of copper per mole = 2.3605 mol of copper deposited

Cu2+ + 2e- --> Cu(s)

2.3605mol Cu X 2 = 4.721 moles of electrons required
4.721 mol electons X 96485 coulombs/mol = 455,505.7 coulombs

4.75 amps = 4.75 coulombs/second

455,505.7 coulombs / 4.75 coulombs/ second= 958.9 seconds of time

959 seconds / 60 seconds per minute = 15,98 minutes of time to deposit 150 grams of copper metal onto the cathode at a current of 4.75 amps of electrical current flow.

edited decimal point wrong spot

Last edited:
How long? How many minutes will it take to deposit 150 grams of copper running the copper sulfate cell at 4.75 amps?

150 grams of copper to be deposited/63.546grams of copper per mole = 0.023605 mol of copper deposited

Cu2+ + 2e- --> Cu(s)

0.023605mol Cu X 2 = 0,04721 moles of electrons required
0.04721 mol electons X 96485 coulombs/mol = 4555,057 coulombs

4.75 amps = 4.75 coulombs/second

4555.057 coulombs / 4.75 couloumbs per second = 959 seconds of time

959 seconds / 60 seconds per minute = 15,98 minutes of time to deposit 150 grams of copper metal onto the cathode at a current of 4.75 amps of electrical current flow.
I think there is a slip up on the decimal divider here.
150grams of Cu is 2.36 mols of copper

Just for fun or to fry the brains of those who are trying to follow this math exercise in electrochemical reactions/

Silver (Ag) atomic weight ( from periodic charts) is 107.87 grams per mole of silver

Silver electrode reduction potential of E0+0.80volts

Ag+ + e- --> Ag (s)

From the equation we see we need one faraday (e-) to oxidize and deposit 107.87 grams of silver metal (mole of silver) from a silver nitrate solution electrolyte

1 amp X 1 second = 1 coulomb
96485.3383 coulombs = 1 faraday
1 faraday per mole

Silver atomic weight (108 g/mol ) / (96485.3383 coulombs{one faraday}) = 0.0011193 grams of silver deposited per coulomb

Each electron carries an electrical charge of 1.6021x10-19 coulombs

one mole of electrons 6.022 X 1023 (Avogadro's constant)
so
6.022x1023 (mole electrons) X 1.60x10-19 charge on those electrons = 96485 coulombs (one faraday) able to move a mole of electrons of metal from the anode as ions to deposit at the cathode cathode

algebra equation I am taking on

coulombs / amp = seconds of time
couloumbs / seconds = amps
amps X seconds = coulombs

Thanks
I knew If I posted I would make mistakes, one reason I have about stopped posting anything anymore.

I can blame my eyes for getting the nubers (wrong numbers) of the calculator or my age or just that I am human with dyslexia and all that junk or I just messed up numbers anyway.

Check the chemistry, the electrochemical theory, my spelling and grammar, and my bad math of nubers over again, closely for any mistakes you find, and I will gladly correct them in the posts above.

my goal was not accuracy but to show how to figure.

Thanks
I knew If I posted I would make mistakes, one reason I have about stopped posting anything anymore.

I can blame my eyes for getting the nubers (wrong numbers) of the calculator or my age or just that I am human with dyslexia and all that junk or I just messed up numbers anyway.

Check the chemistry, the electrochemical theory, my spelling and grammar, and my bad math of nubers over again, closely for any mistakes you find, and I will gladly correct them in the posts above.

my goal was not accuracy but to show how to figure.
It all seemed ok to me, just the divider slip. 😏

You guys using imperial measurements have a slightly more cumbersome life in calculating units, we, the lazy metric guys, just move the divider back and forth🤣

Edit, added text

some of my ugly notes

Attachments

• au electrochemistry cal.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • au ele 2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Cu Ag ele.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Cu -Au ele.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Cuso4 AgNO3.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • AgNO3-CuNO3.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • break dwn.pdf
    750.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Ag Cu Ag.pdf
    771.9 KB · Views: 0
You can heap or vat leach your crushed ore.

Copper ores​

The method is similar to the cyanide method above, except sulfuric acid is used to dissolve copper from its ores. The acid is recycled from the solvent extraction circuit (see solvent extraction-electrowinning, SX/EW) and reused on the leach pad. A byproduct is iron(II) sulfate, jarosite, which is produced as a byproduct of leaching pyrite, and sometimes even the same sulfuric acid that is needed for the process. Both oxide and sulfide ores can be leached, though the leach cycles are much different and sulfide leaching requires a bacterial, or bio-leach, component.

In 2011 leaching, both heap leaching and in-situ leaching, produced 3.4 million metric tons of copper, 22 percent of world production.[8] The largest copper heap leach operations are in Chile, Peru, and the southwestern United States.

Although heap leaching is a low cost-process, it normally has recovery rates of 60-70%. It is normally most profitable with low-grade ores. Higher-grade ores are usually put through more complex milling processes where higher recoveries justify the extra cost. The process chosen depends on the properties of the ore.

The final product is cathode copper.

Thanks guys for this most elaborate and confusing feedback😱🤯.
If i got it right the most important aspect of electrowinning is the amperage and an increase in that increases our rate of deposition. I will try apply what i managed to glean to my situ
Ive decided to do a basic solvent extract process to try and get back some sulphuric acid for reuse and maybe make a smaller batch cell.
I understood i need LIX64n for extraction which I hope to achieve by agitating the mixture with a handheld concrete mixer in a 1000litre plastic drum for maybe 15min(based on mr google)
Its the stripping that I cant seem to figure out whats needed and how to do it in batches, without having to buy the mixer settler which I cant afford.
Any pointers

Your amperage is to be determined by the cathode area (size) or the size of how many cathodes are involved in the cell... larger cells run at higher amperages.

Depending on the metal being oxidized and reduced the range of amperage will vary.
You can look up amperage per square foot, and convert to inch for that metal or find or convert in metric...

a slight excess of amperage is ok.

Too many amps on a small cell may not only see it splitting the water but may become uncontrollably reactive,

I would not put my welder on a setting of 260 Amp on a small silver cell with a 3-square-inch cathode. I would probably not only see water bubbling as it split, but I may have a heck of an acid volcano with hydrogen gas and arcing ...Hmm could get nasty, this may or may not be a slight exaggeration of the possible danger or problem but you get the idea, we do not wish to weld the anode to the cathode or burn off the electrolyte.

several other conditions pH which can change in the cell as gases evolve or water is split normally the anode compartment gets acidic (hydrogen+ ion) and the cathode becomes more caustic alkaline or basic (OH- ions),

The temperature of the electrolyte, which also as almost everything can be related to the cell and how it is going to operate, more resistance (think electrolyte resistance ions in solution ) and the external resistance of the external circuit, bad connections, too small wire carrying current to and from electrodes, can waste current, build heat and cause grief, higher resistance, and higher current also mean you will have a higher wattage produced (we are not making an electric bathroom heater out of our cell, unnecessary wattage of wasted power...

Even the metals involved play a role, how reactive or how unreactive the metal or its ions are, where their place in the series, how they react in the cell (with each other at times), the metal ions are soluble or insoluble are they depleting the electrolyte (think insoluble lead sulfate taking the sulfate ions with it, or silver taking chloride ions from electrolyte with it out of the equation of the cell to deposit it in the mud or slimes...

Several factors are involved some more than I can't think of right now too tired of typing blindly with one finger...

Last edited:
I have seen these mixers made from industrial vent fans. Laid on their side with a mixing blade replacing the fan blade. These were used in 50 gallon drums and used flotation to work the materials/ores into the next barrel. I have looked most of the day but cannot find any of the old pictures or videos I had saved. I will keep looking as it has been a few years since I have looked at them.

Your amperage is to be determined by the cathode area (size) or the size of how many cathodes are involved in the cell... larger cells run at higher amperages.

Depending on the metal being oxidized and reduced the range of amperage will vary.
You can look up amperage per square foot, and convert to inch for that metal or find or convert in metric...

a slight excess of amperage is ok.

Too many amps on a small cell may not only see it splitting the water but may become uncontrollably reactive,

I would not put my welder on a setting of 260 Amp on a small silver cell with a 3-square-inch cathode. I would probably not only see water bubbling as it split, but I may have a heck of an acid volcano with hydrogen gas and arcing ...Hmm could get nasty, this may or may not be a slight exaggeration of the possible danger or problem but you get the idea, we do not wish to weld the anode to the cathode or burn off the electrolyte.

several other conditions pH which can change in the cell as gases evolve or water is split normally the anode compartment gets acidic (hydrogen+ ion) and the cathode becomes more caustic alkaline or basic (OH- ions),

The temperature of the electrolyte, which also as almost everything can be related to the cell and how it is going to operate, more resistance (think electrolyte resistance ions in solution ) and the external resistance of the external circuit, bad connections, too small wire carrying current to and from electrodes, can waste current, build heat and cause grief, higher resistance, and higher current also mean you will have a higher wattage produced (we are not making an electric bathroom heater out of our cell, unnecessary wattage of wasted power...

Even the metals involved play a role, how reactive or how unreactive the metal or its ions are, where their place in the series, how they react in the cell (with each other at times), the metal ions are soluble or insoluble are they depleting the electrolyte (think insoluble lead sulfate taking the sulfate ions with it, or silver taking chloride ions from electrolyte with it out of the equation of the cell to deposit it in the mud or slimes...

Several factors are involved some more than I can't think of right now too tired of typing blindly with one finger...
Thank you, I will need to take some time to assimilate all this. I will definitely keep you updated on my progress.
Out of interest, in copper electrowinning, would it be possible to have a vertical, hollow, cylindrical anode, maybe 15cm diameter, with many little cathode rods dropping down the centre. This way I can create a system where the copper sulphate solution flows slowly upwards through the 1m high anode comes out through the top and drops to the bottom of a similar cylinder at a lower level so the electrolyte rises up the cylinder on its own. Maybe have a series of 10 such cylinders thus increasing the surface area. Idea is to keep it in constant motion shifting any inert zones

Latest posts

Back