Copperas Orange Sediment

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alentia

I got annoyed with SMB smell, so I have ordered Copperas from my supplier.

Copperas came in double sealed bags. It is tan (cyan with more shift to green) in color, however there are some white and orange pieces (like dots) through out the sulfate. I have dissolved and filtered it to get nice green colored liquid.

With ratio of 25gr per 100ml of water and about 5 days sitting at around 15C I am getting orange sediments at the bottom.

Is it normal?

Is it due to low temperature?

Should I re-filter it?

What is orange sediment?

Is it ok to keep copperas dissolved or only dissolve before use?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrous_sulfate

When I make copperas ferrous sulfate it looks like the crystals in the wiki photo, copperas if crystals are dried completely and not stored wet and slightly acidic can oxidize easily, the oxidized iron (rust) will not precipitate gold, since you description sounds like you have some oxidation of your crystals, but for the most part good copperas, what I would try is to use a 10% H2SO4 solution to dissolve them, using heat, use minimum liquid needed to get them into solution, the heat can be pretty hot, once dissolved pour into a cooling jar, let it sit to settle out in-solubles, decant filtering solution, if you wish at this point to recrystallize, heat them and evaporate off water, do not dry out crystals completely, as crystals form and pile up on the bottom of the pot spoon them out put into small HDPE plastic bottle, add just a few drops of H2SO4 to maintain acidity,keep air from the crystals with a good lid, if you wish to store the filtered liquid add a few drops of HSO4 to keep solution slightly acid, store with lid to keep out air as much as possible.

There is not any reason to buy copperas,unless you just want to, you can most likely make a better product than you can buy most places, it is very easy to make at home, in an couple afternoon you can make a large batch to stock your supply to last a while, transformer laminates are fairly pure soft iron and work great for the iron needed, I cut or grind the welds on the transformer, pull out laminates and separate them, the copper coil can be sold or used for other projects (rewinding that heater fan motor on your truck, orthe very fine copper wire incenerated and used to start the cementing process of silver from the nitrate solution...), the iron laminate's are torched to burn off laquer coating, if you do not use then now store in plastic bag to keep them from rusting.

Wash the laminate iron off cut to small pieces with tin snips, in your ceramic casserole dish on your hot plate add 10% H2SO4 solution dissolve the laminates, once dissolved pour into a cooling jar, let it sit to settle out in-solubles, decant filtering solution, if you wish at this point to recrystallize, heat them and evaporate off water, do not dry out crystals completely, as crystals form and pile up on the bottom of the pot spoon them out put into small HDPE plastic bottle, add just a few drops of H2SO4 to maintain acidity,keep air from the crystals with a good lid, if you wish to store the filtered liquid add a few drops of HSO4 to keep solution slightly acid, store with lid to keep out air as much as possible.

Alentia said:
Thank you, Butcher!

The only reason I bought, as I made some myself and it was too time consuming. I will follow you wise advises!

Apologies about my rumbling. It is even hard for me to understand what I have said above after some "Sunday dinner wine" :roll:

In any case to further translate the above...

At the end of the day it is cheaper to buy already pre-made copperas in 22kg bags and than follow Butcher's advise to revitalize it rather than making it yourself in such quantity.

Latest posts

Back