Corrosion calculation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13enigma

So I have an silver plate that weighs about 23 grams and my goal is to test the rate at which it tarnishes and if it is reusable.
The goal is simply to see if the silver can be used again and again after its electrons ate deposited into the solution. I haven't conducted the theory yet but I would like to hear some ideas from fellow refiners and academics on this forum?

At what point will the silver plates have no more silver electrons to be deposited??

This is simply a test to see the resilience of silver and some other test will be conducted with iron....

13enigma said:
So I have an silver plate that weighs about 23 grams and my goal is to test the rate at which it tarnishes and if it is reusable.
The goal is simply to see if the silver can be used again and again after its electrons ate deposited into the solution. I haven't conducted the theory yet but I would like to hear some ideas from fellow refiners and academics on this forum?

At what point will the silver plates have no more silver electrons to be deposited??

This is simply a test to see the resilience of silver and some other test will be conducted with iron....
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking.

You have a silver plate and you want to test the rate at which it tarnishes and if it is reusable. The rate silver tarnishes depends on the conditions it's exposed to. What do you mean by "if it is reusable"?

You say "The goal is simply to see if the silver can be used again and again after its electrons ate deposited into the solution." What do you mean? What solution? How are electrons being deposited into it?

You ask "At what point will the silver plates have no more silver electrons to be deposited??" When there are no more silver electrons.

If your questions have to do with recovery and refining of precious metals, please clarify what you're asking and we'll try to help. I have already warned you that alchemy is not to be discussed here, so if that's what is behind your questions, my advice would be to ask them somewhere else.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
13enigma said:

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking.

You have a silver plate and you want to test the rate at which it tarnishes and if it is reusable. The rate silver tarnishes depends on the conditions it's exposed to. What do you mean by "if it is reusable"?

You say "The goal is simply to see if the silver can be used again and again after its electrons ate deposited into the solution." What do you mean? What solution? How are electrons being deposited into it?

You ask "At what point will the silver plates have no more silver electrons to be deposited??" When there are no more silver electrons.

If your questions have to do with recovery and refining of precious metals, please clarify what you're asking and we'll try to help. I have already warned you that alchemy is not to be discussed here, so if that's what is behind your questions, my advice would be to ask them somewhere else.

Dave

Hi Dave all I want is help. No alchemy that's just nonsense

I have silver plates within an electrolytic solution of sodium thiosulfate. I was just doing a random experiment and I don't know what will happen as I do not have anything but a hypothesis. Do you know what will happen? Obviously the silver will tarnish since I have 9 volts and 12 amps going through it.

But will the silver lose weight in grams

Presumably you have some cheap digital weighing scales.

If so, do a scientific experiment to answer your own question.

Dry & Weigh the silver (A grammes)
Write down the starting weight.
Run the current for say X minutes.
Dry & Weigh the silver.
Write down the final weight (B grammes)

The rate at which the silver is lost (if at all) = (A-B) / X grammes per minute.

Proper science without any rockets !

(P.S. 6 Volts is generally the max for this kind of thing.)

I already gave my opinion about this (it's foolishness) on the thread started by some idiot named 13ishmael, who I hope was banned. I see no reason to continue it here unless you can give, in detail, a practical goal for achieving this information. At this point, Mr 13ishmael or 13enigma or whatever you're calling yourself this week, any further discussion on this is a total waste of time, unless you can prove me technically wrong.

Ah crap.

So you get one or a few people registering new accounts all the time and posting garbage.

Have seen that happening over at sciencemadness for the past year or so.

If any admin/mod is interested, i have a few ideas how to identify them even when they use IP masking techniques, although it requires some modifications to the php code.

Repeat offenders CAN be detected at the point they try to register yet another 'new' account.

Back