crockpot for solder mask?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powermetalx

Hi all,
I perused the forum for info on solder mask removal as well as various crackpot methods. But it seems that people use the crockpot method only for Hcl wash or acid peroxide methods. I have some serious solder mask to remove! Can anyone comment on the advisability of using hot lye in a crackpot as a method of removing solder mask?

Thanks in advance on any help. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

I don't have a stainless steel container. But I do have a crockpot. I suppose a stainless steel pot is cheap as dirt, but I must also have a separate heat source for it. Would like to make do with what I have if that is possible.

Could even use the same crackpot for multiple processes then! Which obviously doesn't work for steel and HCl

Lye when dissolved in water is producing its own heat and quite a lot of it. Crock pot is not designed to be used with hot lye, use something which cant break.
Anyway, you will find soon that removing solder mask and recovery of flash plating under it by using electricity and chemicals will not pay for costs associated with recovery.

If you use hot lye in a crockpot, it will most likely eat the glaze and not stop there. You could end up with one hell of a mess.

Latest posts

Back