Dawn Cl...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotTheBug

In the hopes of helping a noob not make the same error I made today,
washing ashes from incinerated chips, using a little Dawn detergent in the water to help suspend and remove the ash.
DO rinse well before going to the next step and adding HCl, or you will have a great smelling mess in short order.

In short, I rinsed a couple times, thinking it would suffice. When I added the HCl, the bubbles became detergent bubbles and
I came close to having a foam over. Not a boil over, just a foam over, which was effectively knocked back with the trusty old spray bottle.

Thank You for allowing me to share my "moment" with you...

Paul.

GotTheBug said:
In the hopes of helping a noob not make the same error I made today,
washing ashes from incinerated chips, using a little Dawn detergent in the water to help suspend and remove the ash.
DO rinse well before going to the next step and adding HCl, or you will have a great smelling mess in short order.

In short, I rinsed a couple times, thinking it would suffice. When I added the HCl, the bubbles became detergent bubbles and
I came close to having a foam over. Not a boil over, just a foam over, which was effectively knocked back with the trusty old spray bottle.

Thank You for allowing me to share my "moment" with you...

Paul.

If there is Cl in Dawn detergent, after adding the HCL, you should check it with stannous, just incase you dissolved any gold.

Edit - thanks by the way. I used Dawn when I incinerated my chips also. I should re-rinse them before continuing.

I would say, you used too much detergent. It should not be more than what will suffice to produce few bubbles when stirring that quickly disappear.

Latest posts

Back