DCP vs ICP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NobleMetalWorks

I would like to know more about more about DCP or Direct Current Plasma Emission Spectrometer so I thought to start a thread on the subject. I am familiar with, and have used ICP-MS but it does have issues specially with complex matrix samples . I have recently come into contact with someone who uses DCP instead of ICP and does so for the following reasons:
  1. DCP has a more rugged Sampling System (Nebulizer, Spray Chamber, Aerosol Chimney... made from inert Plastic & Graphite), to easily handle any high-Acid (including HF), high-Salt (10-20%) Solutions without Physical or Chemical interference.
  2. DCP’s ultra-high Optical Resolution of the Echelle Spectrometer is ~10x greater than most ICP, and this eliminates errors due to Spectral Interference where Wavelength from one Element (Fe, for example) will give a false reading for another Element (Au, which has its Wavelength only 0.001nm away from Fe)
  3. DCP is simpler, uses less Ar than ICP, so it is less expensive to operate.
  4. There is high e-density and less ionization than ICP (more "useful" for 1A and 2A elements by a factor of 10 to 100 times).
If anyone here on the forum has experience with DCP and even better if they have experience doing assays with DCP and ICP both, I would really like to read your thoughts on comparing the two technologies.

It seems there are very few people who even use DCP and even fewer people who refurbish the equipment, as well I cannot find any manufacturer of the equipment itself. Any information in this regard would be greatly appreciate also.

Where the heck do you buy a DCP these days? don't know what contact this guy is, but I'd be glad not to have him as a contact! Very few people use them because no one really makes them.

Pretty much everything that person gave is wrong.
Sampling systems are the same or similar.
Bullcrap on the optics (guy literally doesn't know what he's talking about)
3. It is simpler. Less Ar? Don't know. I think mine runs 3 liters per minute.
4. That's like a contradiction and "useful" is eye of the beholder. Try and get good ppb numbers from DCP for Na/K/Ca etc.

Sounds like a geologist who is really old is saying this.

Back