depopulation/desoldering residue

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksilver77PM

Ok so, first off this forum is excellent with an abundance of great information regarding precious metal refining; just a little hard to navigate at times. I, myself, have only been doing this for about a year or so. Prior to this endeavor i had a basic knowledge of chemistry and still i'm going slow(only using HCL and AP). Anyways I've tried for quite some time to find Harold's washes as i believe that's what I'm looking for.

I have been nicely depopulating RAM cards(gold finger's long gone) using a relatively small amount of HCL, I would estimate 1-2L. The SMDs as well as the insoluble chlorides settle at the bottom; the capacitors, ICs, resistors and other goodies are removed and what i'm left with is a black sludge. How would one wash up what i expect to be lead, cadmium, and perhaps a dash of something nice?

Hola hermano!

If there was any silver present in the material you processed, it would be at the bottom, as a sediment, (metallic silver), since silver doesn't dissolve in HCL alone.
You would have to rinse the sediment, incinerate, (in order to get rid of all traces of HCl), & then dissolve in 50/50 nitric/distilled water. Then cement the dissolved silver with clean copper. After cementing, you could further refine the silver thru a silver cell.

Take care!

Phil

Maybe this will help you, I searched for silver and HCL and it was about the third one down. All credit goes to phil!

CJ

quicksilver77PM.

You are asking for Harold's gold washing procedure., it can be found in the topic getting gold pure and shining in the help needed section.

I am a bit confused by your question, you state you are using HCl (or possibly the copper II chloride leach) to depopulate circuit boards, and say you have black powders, and are asking for a procedure to wash gold powders,

I am having a hard time understanding your question.
My question first is why would you, or did you dissolve gold with this mess? Tin problems, with high loses of gold, come to mind if you did put gold into solution with the solder...

Cadmium chloride is very soluble it would be in solution if you did have cadmium chloride dissolved.

Lead chloride is pretty much insoluble (a white powder), that becomes fairly soluble in boiling hot water, and dissolve clear in boiling water and will crystallize back out of the water as white lead chloride crystals upon cooling of the wash solution.

Silver chloride (also a white powder unless rinsed of high HCl acidic solution and exposed to sunlight where it can darken as it partially converts back to silver metal), silver chloride remains pretty much insoluble as a chloride even in boiling hot water, it can be fluffy and can take time to settle so allow for the silver chloride to settle as you wash out the lead with boiling hot water.

Silver Chloride will not dissolve in nitric acid, if for some reason you needed to dissolve it you could, (but some processes used here can be dangerous if not done right, so I will not go into detail here). Besides if silver chloride was in these black powders ( and these black powders were in fact gold), at this point I would dissolve the gold from the silver chloride with a second refining, leaving the insoluble silver chloride to deal with later (keeping them wet in your silver chloride collection jar).
If the black powders happen to be metallic silver (converted by light from some of the silver chloride powder), only the portion of silver that did convert to metal would dissolve in HNO3, the remaining silver chloride would not dissolve in HNO3.

If you did not dissolve gold, and you rinsed or diluted the white powder that may explain the black colors of the powders, partially converted silver chloride exposed to light.

NaCl sodium chloride is also water soluble, its solubility does not change much at different temperatures.

Most chlorides are soluble, check the solubility rules for a better understanding of the chemistry involved here.

If those black powers are gold, you should refine them again.

I am still baffled by the question, did you use too much oxidizer and put gold into solution with base metals? From what you stated you were trying to do, you should not of had black powders of gold, and if you did while the tin solder was in solution I would expect high loses due to colloidal gold solutions...

Be sure you understand how to deal with the toxic solutions you have, see the topic dealing with waste in the safety section...

Without seeing or knowing exactly what you have done or how, it can be hard to give answers to some of these questions, knowing if you dissolved gold into solution and that is where the black came from, or if you just have silver darkened by light, is hard for me to know from where I sit, with you asking about Harold's gold washing procedure it makes me think you believe you had gold in these powders...???

I've done some memmory depopulating in staight HCL and have seen some black stuff in powder form as it was dried...
I had let the boards sit for a day or 3 and then filtered chips nand such out.
Then heated it and let dry out. Knowing tin, lead, and other non PM material was there I wanted to see the different clorides remainning. Nice white crystals, some grayish tinted powder and even some black. It was an old coffee pot so didn't much care about saving anything from it but the black stuff kinda looks like my stanus solution after sitting a day with solder in it. Little black...almost balls of something settled at the bottom.
No idea what the black is but something from the solder is my guess.

B.S.

Awesome guys, i appreciate the help. In response to Butcher no oxidizers were added, the depopulation/solder removal solution is %32 HCL and that's it. Gold recovery was not really my focus for this process, as the gold fingers were cut off prior to depopulation (although I suppose there's probably some). Really all i was looking for was a way to clean up this black residue(lead chloride is white as is silver chloride). I ended up finding a few solutions: the black residue (dry) may be added to ammonia which would absorb any AgCl. The residue may also be boiled thus dissolving the lead leaving AgCl. Not sure yet, I've learned to take my time when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks again.

Its most likely Antimony - as in the same black residue you get when you use 95% tin/5% antimony solder to make your stannous chloride testing solution

By the way - you know "some" ram has gold plating on the traces under the solder mask

Kurt

Latest posts

Back