Diethyl zinc

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonn

Does anyone know if there's a use for this in the refining process or any related uses? I have come across a few canisters, all new still in boxes. There is the tank, sealed, inside a steel bucket, sealed, inside boxes, sealed.. Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to know how or who to sell them to if possible before this Wednesday. This is pure dietyl zinc. Never opened.thanks folks. Jonn

Hey Jonn...

I believe that Diethylzinc is used to remove acid from old paper, a conservatory of books might be interested in it.

I do know that you cannot add it to water, or vice versa, it reacts violently with water if I remember correctly.

And by the way, thank you for the equipment again!

Scott

You're welcome Scott, thank you for all your help. I'd like to see if anyone wants this or knows anyone who would. It needs to be removed from the facility shortly, as you know. See you soon.

Hey Jonn,

Diethylzinc is a very dangerous, hazardous material, albeit with quite a lot of industrial uses. It's use as a conservative agent for old books has been abandoned, since some unwanted and rather unexpected "spontaneous events" occured in the trial phase of book-conservation. It is definitely of absolutely no use in any PM-recovery/refining operation. More information about Diethylzinc and it's hazards, especially in book-conservation, you can find by this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethylzinc,

which, with a minimum amount of effort, you would have found easily yourself. Again, like in your past postings about the DAS-escape-unit, you make me very suspicious now (and this time much more), that your real intentions are, to find some easy ways out of an uncomfortable situation you have got in with some hazardous or malfunctioning objects, you want to get rid of as quickly as possible.

Thank you free chemist, I have also read that link prior to posting. There are also other use, like hobby rocket fuel. I think folks on here would have more than one hobby. Maybe someone needs rocket fuel? I bet you're happy that I asked before danger arose though, right? :p

freechemist said:
Hey Jonn,

Diethylzinc is a very dangerous, hazardous material, albeit with quite a lot of industrial uses. It's use as a conservative agent for old books has been abandoned, since some unwanted and rather unexpected "spontaneous events" occured in the trial phase of book-conservation. It is definitely of absolutely no use in any PM-recovery/refining operation. More information about Diethylzinc and it's hazards, especially in book-conservation, you can find by this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethylzinc,

which, with a minimum amount of effort, you would have found easily yourself. Again, like in your past postings about the DAS-escape-unit, you make me very suspicious now (and this time much more), that your real intentions are, to find some easy ways out of an uncomfortable situation you have got in with some hazardous or malfunctioning objects, you want to get rid of as quickly as possible.

freechmist,

I have read your posts, and some have been very helpful. However in this case I can tell you without reservation that your assumptions, although seemingly based on how you personally feel towards Jonn's posts, are utterly incorrect.

Without saying too much, because I feel before I did and have since edited out all of what I earlier stated, I have seen the Diethylzinc myself and can assure you that Jonn is not desperate to dump it on anyone, he is doing his due diligence, posting in the correct part of the forum and asking a question which actually seems to me to be a bit of cleaver reasoning on his part. Considering that Diethylzinc is used in the semiconductor industry, and the fact that much of the material some of us process is produced by the semiconducting industry! Taking that into consideration, thinking just past your snap judgment and assumptions, you might see the intelligence behind the question as I do.

Considering Diethylzinc is not something that is common to laymen and that most people never come into contact with it in their entire life, it also seems to me that Jonn was asking people who would know the answer to his question. If you google for example "Diethylzinc precious metal refining" you get zip. Not getting an answer is different than being able to find an answer. Thus asking here seems to me like the intelligent choice for someone who wants to know.

Sometimes I say things that I edit and take back because I feel that what I said could be taken in the wrong way. I am assuming that is the case here. In my opinion, you don't seem like the type of person who goes after people, following their posts to harass them, but since I have met Jonn and know a little about where this material is coming from I also felt I should post in his defense. Insinuating something about a person's integrity or intent could affect their business in a negative way.

Scott

It can be destroyed with tert butyl alcohol or even dry isopropanol. I used the stuff by the liter in college. Depending on its concentration (usually 1 M in hexane or heptane), it will either smoke or set aflame (rather prettily) . It is pyrophoric with air and quickly forms choking zinc oxide.

Your best bet Jonn is to contact a local university's EH&S officer and see if you might have them handle it or advise.

Thank you Scott and Lou, I contacted Sigma Aldrich, the manufacturer. They will pick it up on Wednesday. I thought it would be nice to offer it to someone that may have a need. Oh well. Thank you gentlemen :p

Latest posts

Back