Difference between Urea and Ammonium Sulfate?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaftPunk

Hey hows it going I'm new to these forums and gold refining and I just had a quick question.

One of the last things I need to start refining is Urea to neutralize the acid as I'm using the aqua regia process to refining my gold but I can not for the life of me find a bag of urea 46-0-0 anywhere within my area, like at all.

So I finally call up a hydroponics shop and they say they've got one bag left so I go down there and pick it up but its actually a bag of BEST Ammonium Sulfate 21-0-0 and not Urea at all.
Now I don't know much about plant fertilizer (and when I mean "not much" I mean absolutely nothing) so I just wanted to check in here to see if I can still use this bag to substitute the urea. I mean, is it different? Is it essentially the same thing? Do I need to take this back and order Urea online? Any response to shed light on this would be a big help.

Sorry if this question has already been asked ahead of time.

This coming spring throw the Ammonium Sulfate on your lawn or garden.
As far as the Urea, a pound will last you for many years, since you will only need a few prills to ""test"" for excess nitric, not neutralize it.
Urea does not really neutralize the nitric, but it can decompose into some dangerous compounds. :shock:

Study and learn to fully understand the processes you are wanting to use.

edit spelling

I wonder where all these people read to use Urea... Is there some kind of gold refining guide in 5 easy steps online or eBay?

It's like almost every post in this section is the same:

"added Urea to neutralize the acid..."

Latest posts

Back