Difference in use between graphite and SS as a cathode for silver electrorefining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aterrerosr

Hello, I have been learning from the forum for a few months, let me tell you that it has been very useful to me in finding improvements in silver production in my horizontal electrorefining cells. I am very grateful.

Currently our electrolyte is based on Silver Nitrate and copper, my ideal parameters are 90 grams per liter of silver and 20 grams per liter of copper.
Our cathode is graphite, my question is: Could I use stainless steel as a cathode? And what would be my operational advantages? How does using stainless steel differ from graphite as a cathode, regardless of price?
A few months ago we had problems, the silver crystals adhered to the graphite plate, but it was basically due to the lack of copper in the electrolyte we had, due to polarization. But in the last month we had that problem again even though copper was controlled and we did not have a silver deficit.

I will be very grateful for your comments and suggestions.

Hello, I have been learning from the forum for a few months, let me tell you that it has been very useful to me in finding improvements in silver production in my horizontal electrorefining cells. I am very grateful.

Currently our electrolyte is based on Silver Nitrate and copper, my ideal parameters are 90 grams per liter of silver and 20 grams per liter of copper.
Our cathode is graphite, my question is: Could I use stainless steel as a cathode? And what would be my operational advantages? How does using stainless steel differ from graphite as a cathode, regardless of price?
A few months ago we had problems, the silver crystals adhered to the graphite plate, but it was basically due to the lack of copper in the electrolyte we had, due to polarization. But in the last month we had that problem again even though copper was controlled and we did not have a silver deficit.

I will be very grateful for your comments and suggestions.
Welcome.
I don't have much experience running cells.
Graphite will deteriorate over time and this may create cracks and crevices that hold on to the Silver.
Stainless will not do this.

Back