differnt versions of Solution A

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve
With this solution A that I have I tested a solution and with that solution on the glass I dipped it into the solution A bottle.
The solution still works but it may not be doing a perfect job.
I dont know if that would make it contaminated.
The result of the tests that I get are usually dark in color and kind of black when there is precious metals.

I am looking on this page
Purple/Black color is Gold in solution, the darker the spot the more Gold.

Yellow/Brown that turns to Blue-Green after 30 seconds indicates Palladium in solution, the darker the spot the more Palladium.

Orange/Brown color is Platinum in solution, the darker the spot the more Platinum.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=562

The colors are for individual metal tests and I wanted to know what would happen in the event where there was amixture of 2 metals.
For example what happens if you have 2% platinum and 50% gold 3% palladium
What would bve the color of the solution A
Thanks

I just remembered what Hoke wrote in here book
You have to prepare known amounts of combination of these metals in your stock and compare the unknown to that of the known.

golddie said:
The colors are for individual metal tests and I wanted to know what would happen in the event where there was amixture of 2 metals.
For example what happens if you have 2% platinum and 50% gold 3% palladium
What would bve the color of the solution A
Thanks
Here's where it pays to understand testing, a subject I try to harp on regularly. (Maybe reading this will help you understand why!)

If you have a solution that contains mixed values, what it contains often can't be determined by stannous chloride, alone. That doesn't prevent you from testing by other means, however. For example, in a scenario such as you described, instead of testing directly with stannous chloride, I'd test a drop with a crystal of ferrous sulfate. That would precipitate gold, which would mask the stannous chloride reactions by both platinum and palladium. Once the gold was down, you could then test with stannous. If you got a reaction that wasn't clear, because both platinum and palladium are present, you would then fetch a second drop, and, again, remove the gold with a crystal (or two) of ferrous sulfate. You would then test the drop with DMG---which would reveal the presence of palladium. You could then test with stannous chloride to make a determination of the presence of platinum.

Simple, but not if you don't know the process.

Harold

Back