Distilled water. Watch out for.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam mizer

Supporting Member
I was wondering what was happening in my processing.
There was some small clouds happening.
This brand of distilled water must be processed differently.
Its sold all over here in Boise.
Pure Life
Distilled Water
Purified by Steam Distallation.
However must be something in it that makes small amount of chlorides appear.
Another brand sold here is Kroger, I'm going to try it.
Anybody had similar experiences with distilled water rinses?
EDIT ADD: Also am seeing, purified by steam distillation and ozonated?

Last edited:
Pure Life
Distilled Water
Ascorbic acid will kill chlorine

Pure Life
Distilled Water

Have you used tap water to clean your beakers/equipment?

i was getting distilled water from my dehumidifier. but after not running it all winter, i decided to run the first few batches through a drinking water filtration unit (like brita but cheaper and more chinese). this turned out to be a very bad idea. there must have been some kind of additive back ino the water in that filter. i was assuming it would just be a carbon filter.

i was getting distilled water from my dehumidifier. but after not running it all winter, i decided to run the first few batches through a drinking water filtration unit (like brita but cheaper and more chinese). this turned out to be a very bad idea. there must have been some kind of additive back ino the water in that filter. i was assuming it would just be a carbon filter.
Are you far from the sea?
If close to the sea maybe enough salt in the air may follow the water in the dehumidifier?

Some distilled water is ok, some is not. Test it by placing 10 ml in a test tube and add 3-4 drops of silver nitrate, if chlorides are present, you'll see telltale silver chloride. Advice from above still pertains.

Pure Life
Distilled Water
I was told once that distilled water is often chlorinated or ozonated to give shelf life, as it was to difficult to maintain true bacteria static (zero bacteria) count. Where I used to work people “borrowed” distilled water from the plating shop and ruined their contact lenses due to high chlorine. But I guess a quick heating of the water would drive off the Cl or O3.

Have you used tap water to clean your beakers/equipment?
No it wasn't tap water as it happens when I use the distilled sprayer. (only used for distilled water).
Also had that problem w/ distilled water pure life seems to be hit or miss as well as food lion brand and if you read the ingredients in dish soap some contain salt.
Hit or miss is correct. Do they add a bit of chlorine? The conversion is not much but it is apparent and annoying.
I was told once that distilled water is often chlorinated or ozonated to give shelf life, as it was to difficult to maintain true bacteria static (zero bacteria) count. Where I used to work people “borrowed” distilled water from the plating shop and ruined their contact lenses due to high chlorine. But I guess a quick heating of the water would drive off the Cl or O3.
So I'm not so understanding of Ozonated. Ozone is just breaking oxygen into various atom groups, does that effect the silver nitrate to make a small amount of chlorides?
EDIT ADD: about the ozone, ozone has an odor of chlorine. If oxygen molecule is subject to breaking and combining how does it smell like chlorine?

Last edited:
that sounds to me, more like 'drinking water' and not 'distilled water'. the local grocery stores around here offer both in very similar packaging. it's important that if one is buying from the store, or "borrowing" from an employer, they recognize the difference.

personally, i do not have a pool, and no chlorine in my water as i'm on a well, so no worries about chlorine. it's the other contaminants that i worry become an issue in refining. like the iron from the well casing and steel underground pipes, as well as the hardness of the limestone aquifer that it's pulled from. better from the dehumidifier. but i'll buy the distill for my silver cell.

I'd always advise people to try their own tap water before going to the expense of distilled water. Chlorination isn't equal in different regions. I'm in a lucky area where it has no effect.

It's also often that bottled spring water is good enough too. Not always but it really doesn't hurt to try.
I spent a few years working on inverters for pump motors for city water districts and looked at the additive system here how it dripped chlorine into the water.
Yes the bottled spring and distilled water here changed over last several years.
Never had this issue 10 years ago.
I see a few different brands, going to try another brand soon.

No it wasn't tap water as it happens when I use the distilled sprayer. (only used for distilled water).

Hit or miss is correct. Do they add a bit of chlorine? The conversion is not much but it is apparent and annoying.

So I'm not so understanding of Ozonated. Ozone is just breaking oxygen into various atom groups, does that effect the silver nitrate to make a small amount of chlorides?
EDIT ADD: about the ozone, ozone has an odor of chlorine. If oxygen molecule is subject to breaking and combining how does it smell like chlorine?
I do not know if the ozone is an issue for your process but it certainly is a strong oxidizer.
In my opinion ozone does not smell like chlorine. A swimming pool, bleach, smell a certain sharp way but ozone , at low concentration, smells like a mountain after a thunderstorm, at higher concentration smells like a photocopier, then higher starts to irritate the nose and cause coughing.

Where I live the tap water is high in calcium. Just leaving out 100 ml to dry up coats the glass in an opaque white layer. I am not sure but I think organic growth in unused toilet water leaving a black film is bacteria exploiting sulphur content. Survival shops sell solar distillers.

Here in EU, we can access information regarding our local watersource, hardness level and even many times the analysis with major elements. This is done regularly, checking the levels of elements to assure water is drinkable.

If you do not have very chlorinated water, simply add a bit of silver nitrate into it, let the silver chloride form and then just leave it like it is and decant now chloride-free water. No need of any more advanced treatment. Silver is cheap, and you will recover it afterwards. It will cost you few pennies a liter to make it this way.

Second possibility, as it was mentioned, is dehumidifier condensate or simply regular AC condensate. If you happen to have AC unit, catch condensate which is dripping out. It is essentially distilled water, with minimal impurities (if you do not have some salt lake/too salted roads nearby or live in too dusty city/county).

And also, in the winter, you can catch and melt snow. Again, practically distilled water. Always try sample of the snow you will melt, as in some areas, there can fall snow contamined with salt - mainly near the ocean or busy cities where salt is used to de-ice the roads.

Here in EU, we can access information regarding our local watersource, hardness level and even many times the analysis with major elements. This is done regularly, checking the levels of elements to assure water is drinkable.

If you do not have very chlorinated water, simply add a bit of silver nitrate into it, let the silver chloride form and then just leave it like it is and decant now chloride-free water. No need of any more advanced treatment. Silver is cheap, and you will recover it afterwards. It will cost you few pennies a liter to make it this way.

Second possibility, as it was mentioned, is dehumidifier condensate or simply regular AC condensate. If you happen to have AC unit, catch condensate which is dripping out. It is essentially distilled water, with minimal impurities (if you do not have some salt lake/too salted roads nearby or live in too dusty city/county).

And also, in the winter, you can catch and melt snow. Again, practically distilled water. Always try sample of the snow you will melt, as in some areas, there can fall snow contamined with salt - mainly near the ocean or busy cities where salt is used to de-ice the roads.
I use dehumidifier water as distilled water but remove dust with a coffee filter.

Latest posts

Back