Does copper only knock out gold or does it also knock out silver?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to neutralize the nitric acid in 16 liters of aqua regia with sodium carbonate, and then I tried to precipitate the gold with ascorbic acid, it didn't work, so I cemented it with copper and a lot precipitated out, 540 grams, but I'm still drying it, and my question is what can be in it? I think this is a lot, there can't be so much gold in it! There is a thin layer of rust on top that the magnet will hold, what can be done to make it disappear? Thanks!

I wanted to neutralize the nitric acid in 16 liters of aqua regia with sodium carbonate, and then I tried to precipitate the gold with ascorbic acid, it didn't work, so I cemented it with copper and a lot precipitated out, 540 grams, but I'm still drying it, and my question is what can be in it? I think this is a lot, there can't be so much gold in it! There is a thin layer of rust on top that the magnet will hold, what can be done to make it disappear? Thanks!
Why in the world did you put in anything to neutralize your AR???
We never neutralize the AR we deNOx it so the nitrates and excess Nitric is converted into Sulfuric(by Sufamic acid), driven off by evaporation or used up by more Gold or some Copper.
Who told you to do it that way??
Your residue is a mix of Sodium Carbonate, Iron Hydroxides and who knows what. With an tiny amount of Gold in there.
In all practical terms you have taken a manageable and bad situation and turned it into a worse situation and used money to do so.

Put your stuff away in a safe place and then Read Hokes and study before you injure yourself and others!!!
After you have read Hoke you should slowly realize the madness you have been doing.
Then come back and ask questions.

If I read the book, will I know what I messed up and how to fix it? The problem is that it is in English, I have already downloaded it and I am working on how to translate it into Hungarian.

If I read the book, will I know what I messed up and how to fix it? The problem is that it is in English, I have already downloaded it and I am working on how to translate it into Hungarian.
You will not directly discover those things but you will be given information on how it should have been done.
For instance she will tell you how to evaporate the Nitric and why.

Why in the world did you put in anything to neutralize your AR???
We never neutralize the AR we deNOx it so the nitrates and excess Nitric is converted into Sulfuric(by Sufamic acid), driven off by evaporation or used up by more Gold or some Copper.
Who told you to do it that way??
Your residue is a mix of Sodium Carbonate, Iron Hydroxides and who knows what. With an tiny amount of Gold in there.
In all practical terms you have taken a manageable and bad situation and turned it into a worse situation and used money to do so.

Put your stuff away in a safe place and then Read Hokes and study before you injure yourself and others!!!
After you have read Hoke you should slowly realize the madness you have been doing.
Then come back and ask questions.
I didn't want to neutralize the ar, only the nitric acid in it. no one told me to do it this way.

I didn't want to neutralize the ar, only the nitric acid in it. no one told me to do it this way.
That is deNOxing and is a process to decompose the Nitric\Nitrates and it is NOT called neutralizing.
What you have been doing is correctly described neutralizing, but the whole acid\pH.

This is the reason we ask you to study, so you understand what is going on and why you do it.
The worst case is that you do something so wrong that you injure yourself or the neighbors.

That is deNOxing and is a process to decompose the Nitric\Nitrates and it is NOT called neutralizing.
What you have been doing is correctly described neutralizing, but the whole acid\pH.

This is the reason we ask you to study, so you understand what is going on and why you do it.
The worst case is that you do something so wrong that you injure yourself or the neighbors.
ok! Thanks!

Thank you very much for your help! I'm going to check out that book!

View attachment 53123
Before you go and try mixing barrels full of chemicals and throwing in whatever you believe to have succes in there without any knowledge of how to get your pm's out, or how to test if there is something in solution:

Stop. Study dealing with waste. Follow the advice given.

Those 32 liters of acid are probably still very usable. May not see it as waste and get some of value out of that wasted money.

You said: 'no one told me.....'
Who told you to go and dive in head first recovering pm's from scrap with a refining process? Without any experience...

Let me make one thing very clear:

We are responsible for our own actions.

The disclaimer on most youtube video's are very poor.
E.g: If you stick your fingers in a working blender because you saw a cool film with diamonds on the bottom, you still put your own fingers in. No one else did.

Or: when you get sued for the health and environmental damage you've caused in the neighborhood, the judge won't consider which video you watched. And how we the disclaimer is written. Its just YOU.

Have fun. Go study. Ask first before you attempt anything.

And your next chemistry experiment should be on test tube scale, not barrels full of mistakes and waste to correct.

One more: why worry about 20 euro for urine when you've probably wasted more then 100 euro on acids? Adding the fact that urea is not neccessary in refining. Knowledge is.

Hello! I burned 60 kg of ic, then ground it and washed out the ash, and I want to ask how to extract the silver and gold from it? (I know there's gold in the ashes, but I don't want to deal with that!) I don't want to implement the question yet because I haven't read the book yet, but I've already translated it into my own language. I'm just very curious and enthusiastic. I burned these ICs back in the summer.

Hello! I burned 60 kg of ic, then ground it and washed out the ash, and I want to ask how to extract the silver and gold from it? (I know there's gold in the ashes, but I don't want to deal with that!) I don't want to implement the question yet because I haven't read the book yet, but I've already translated it into my own language. I'm just very curious and enthusiastic. I burned these ICs back in the summer.
There is nothing regarding e-waste in Hokes book. Electronics was for all prectical purposes non existent in the time of the book.
Concentrate your ashes as best you can by gravity and magnetic separation.
Then incinerate again to make sure ALL carbon is removed.

Save the concentrates until you are ready to process them. (Finished studying)

I’m not sure there is much Silver in ICs.

Latest posts

Back