Does Rinse / Dilution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReapHer_6

Hi All. It's been a while. I have been busy working on my technique. I have been getting better but still have a long way to go before I am proficient. I wanted to ask a few questions to clear up some fog in my mind.

The first is more obvious but has bugged me for some time and I want to verify. When "Diluting 3x" That means if you have a sample that is 100ml, then add 300ml, of water, correct? It does not mean dilute three time, one at a time. for example... 100ml, diluted once (100ml) = 200ml. Then the second time would work out at 200ml, diluted the second time with 200ml, then the third time the total is 400 diluted for the third time (400ml) for a total final sample of 800ml??<--I hope that made sense. I just wanted to clarify for my own head. I have worried about that for some time.

Secondly, after getting the gold into solution, I am filtering. After I evaporate to de-nox I now have a sample that is 100ml (of pregnant solution). I rinsed the beaker, debris, and the filter and added the rinse to the sample...now I am at 300ml total (the sample plus rinse water). Does the 200ml of the rinse count towards the Dilute 3x equation? So now I only need to add 100ml of water to attain my 3x dilution? Or is the total sample with rinse water the final sample size that needs to be diluted 3x?

Next I know about using ice. I have not been able to find the ratio of ICE to sol. If I have a sample that is 200ml, do I figure out that the 3x = 600 ML and then freeze 600ml of ice? I know the idea of the ice is to lower the dilution. But how do I calculate the amount of ice to add to the sample?

Thanks

John S.

When "Diluting 3x" That means if you have a sample that is 100ml, then add 300ml, of water, correct?
Correct.

Does the 200ml of the rinse count towards the Dilute 3x equation? So now I only need to add 100ml of water to attain my 3x dilution?
Correct.

If you add ice, it should be part of the 3x of water added. You don't need to super dilute your solution.

I only add 1 to 2x the amount of water, and I don't expirience any problems.

Take care!

Phil

1 liter of water = 1000 grams so 1 ml or cc of water should equal 1 gram. Even though water expands when frozen, you can weigh it and know just how much to add to get your dilution correct.

Latest posts

Back