Does stannous chloride test work in sulphuric solutions?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slaughlin79

Like the titles asks,does stannous chloride work to detect pt or pd from a sulphuric acid solution?

It seems that stannous just rolls off when I put a drop on a q tip that I had dipped in solution,like water beading off freshly waxed paint and then q tip starts turning back and melting bc acid is dissolving it. Obviously I didn’t neutralize the solution before test.

But,still curious and I don’t think Hoke mentions it in her book? I have not read it back front back and side to side but and not trying to make it sound like I have but I have read some. Also I couldn’t find much searching here or google.

Thermodynamics shows stannous ion will preferably reduce the sulphate ion to sulfur dioxide. It is assumed that sulphate concentration is in majority. Hence it may work with higher amounts of stannous (as rare is that situation)

You obviously have very concentrated sulfuric acid. Try to dilute the acid first before testing.

Since you are using stannous I assume you have some test solution with gold chloride to see that the stannous is still working. Mix some of it with the sulfuric acid and look for a reaction. Then you would know how well it would work in your situation.

Stannous works at least at low levels of sulfuric acid, or we wouldn't be able to test for gold in solution after we add excess sulfuric acid to precipitate lead, after denoxing with sulfamic acid or adding sulfuric acid before evaporate for removing NOx.

Göran

Latest posts

Back