EBAY IS GOOD!! TOO MUCH NEGATIVITY

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afbrianh

THIS IS MY FIRST POST AND JUST WANTED TO ADD MY 2 CENTS!! I FOUND THIS FORUM LIKE MANY OTHERS TRYING TO FIND NEW WAYS TO INCREASE PROFIT SOME HOW, BUT TO BE HONEST IM A LITTLE DISCOURAGED NOW LOL... MY EXPERIENCE WITH EBAY IS MOSTLY POSITIVE WITH THE OBVIOUS NEGATIVE WHICH IS RUNNING IN TO SCAMMERS AND HAVING YOUR MONEY HELD BY PAYPAL FOR UP TO A MONTH IF YOU FILE A CLAIM.....NOW WHEN I BUY ON EBAY I UTILIZE THE REBATES(SURE ITS NOT PROFIT RIGHT AWAY, BUT ITS STILL PROFIT THAT IS ALSO TAX FREE SINCE ITS A REBATE!!)..NOW FROM ALL MY PURCHASES I BUY AROUND %88 OF MELT I WOULD SAY, BUT I ALSO CLICK THROUGH ALL THE REBATE SITES FIRST...BING %8, MRREBATES %3, BIG CRUMBS %2, COUPON CACTUS % 1, AND EBAY BUCKS %2....SO EVENTHOUGH MY INITIAL PROFIT IS AROUND %5 IM REALLY GET IT-----8+3+2+1+2=%16 CHEAPER THAN THAT!!!(%21)

ANY OTHER IDEAS ON PURCHASING SCRAP GOLD CHEAP???

afbrianh,

Welcome to the forum.

You're right. We do tend to focus on the negative aspects of EBay. However, these are real and they should be brought out. Although Ebay, itself, has several rotten aspects to it, it's usually the scammer listings that are discussed. This serves a purpose to help prevent the unititiated from getting conned out of their money.

We have a rule on this forum that we don't post using all capital letters. It's very annoying to read. So, if you would turn the Caps Lock off and write normally, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry now that i know that i can enforce this rule to!!!!!! I was also wondering if anyone has ventured into lease a space for the gold purchases...if so, did you bring enough revenue to make it worth the while? Also a good scrap gold buying story would be uplifting! I came to this forum to start learning how to refine and my dreams were crushed!! With that being said I dont mean to criticize the feedback, because honestly it did save me the time and money of getting into refining. I feel stupid for even saying this but I purchased the Ishor system on ebay. Luckily gldman let me cancel.

When I was still a kid (that means 4 years ago lol) I used to buy gold on eBay for under spot.

But that does not happen now.

I like ebay in the buyer's perspective.

Welcome aboard.

I too love E-Bay. I like to sell my ceramic CPU's and backplanes over there. It's crazy sometimes what stuff will bring, sometimes not. I always take good photos and describe my items exactly as they are. Never a bad feedback for gold stuff other than the guy who gave me bad feedback for not taking paypal. That was before you had to take it. What a tool.

silversaddle1 said:
Welcome aboard.

I too love E-Bay. I like to sell my ceramic CPU's and backplanes over there. It's crazy sometimes what stuff will bring, sometimes not. I always take good photos and describe my items exactly as they are. Never a bad feedback for gold stuff other than the guy who gave me bad feedback for not taking paypal. That was before you had to take it. What a tool.
That ebay has forced sellers to use paypal isn't the smartest thing they've ever done. My wife and I have no interest in paypal and choose not to use the service. We're not alone. There are many that don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling by doing business with an entity that demands far too much personal information and access to one's wealth, such as it may be.

We either ask for alternate payment options, or we simply won't (and don't) bid on anything that demands payment by paypal. Do keep that in mind when you allow them to bully you in to using the service. Many sellers have abandoned ebay for that very reason, while others are getting much lower selling prices because competition from bidders is reduced.

All in all, the greed that has been shown by ebay is likely to result in their collapse.

Harold

Right again Harold, corporate greed has cost us the sellers a fair price for our goods, lastly it's investors have even turned bullish.

I've been selling on ebay since June of 1998 back in the early days it was a fun place to sell your goods, these days I pass up treasures that once would have made me a tidy profit and filled someones void.

I have sold everything from dryer lint for a couple of bucks to a KT-450 Cummings diesel engine for $15,000.00 plus several cars. Now we only uses the auction to fill the gaps in our DVD collection.

ttys
Gill

Well I agree it has it's problems, but what the hell, I can't sell it local for what it will bring on E-Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260634001065&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

Barren Realms 007 said:
Palladium said:
gustavus said:
I have sold everything from dryer lint for a couple of bucks.

Do i even dare ask ? :lol:

Fire strater kit!! :roll:

Sure some people use dryer lint for making fancy paper for personal use or that of special greeting and birthday cards.

ttys
Gill

butcher said:
magnesium from a lawnmower or voltswagon and a piece of hacksaw blade, they wont have to worry if the woods wet or not.

When ever someone new learn that I sell on eBay the second question usually I'm asked is what do you sell. Good one butcher.

Lawnboy all have magnesium decks, some old chainsaws as well your Volkswagen. Lot of mag showing up in newer auto castings that used to be cast from aluminum.

ttys
G

From a buyers perspective , I wouldn't buy anything off ebay without using paypal. There have been several times , I received items that were not as described or in some instances not received at all. Paypal always came through for me by either refunding my money or resolving issues with the seller. I always use paypal for all transactions and will continue to do so.

teabone said:
From a buyers perspective , I wouldn't buy anything off ebay without using paypal. There have been several times , I received items that were not as described or in some instances not received at all. Paypal always came through for me by either refunding my money or resolving issues with the seller. I always use paypal for all transactions and will continue to do so.
In fairness, I must say, Susan, my wife, received a piece of art glass that had been damaged and repaired, without disclosure. The seller refused to accept the return, and, in spite of ebay finding in our favor, at the time, the maximum they would refund was $200, less $25 fee for handling. Susan lost $1,000 on that deal. This is a case where paypal would likely have been of value to us.

Art glass that has been damaged generally sustains a huge loss of value, often 95%. There are exceptions, such as pieces that are known to be one-of-a-kind, and made by a well known artist. Some of those pieces are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, even when broken. One of them had been in process for four years when it was broken by the artist.

Harold

While I agree that PayPal is good for both buyer and sellers, the neg feedback I got over it was BS. At that time I had been a seller for about 5 years. 100% positive feedback, no negs, ever. Look at my auction I have running now. Good, clear photos, good discription, willing to answer any questions. No mystery of what your are bidding on. Well at the time I got the negs, you did not have to take PayPal. The buyer insisted that I take it, I told him no, so the jerk gives me two negs and says I'm trying to rip him off. And here's the best part. The guy had already bought some computer boards from me before then, not a single problem with those transactions.

So here are his two negs,

Seller allows no protection for sales, like add charges to shipping ! ! Buyer:
Member id istari9 ( Feedback Score Of 645Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
Apr-05-07 17:58

Reply by brandytard (Apr-06-07 03:16):
Auction clearly says NO PAY-PAL. Shipping according to E-bay calculator.

Nice HP Server Board For Scrap Gold Bullion Refining !! (#260081386067) US $31.00 Negative feedback rating

Seller offers no protection for purchase Not worth dealing with!! Buyer:
Member id istari9 ( Feedback Score Of 645Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
Apr-05-07 17:56

Reply by brandytard (Apr-06-07 03:20):
Auction clearly says NO PAYPAL. Nonpaying bidder. Ignore this negitive feed back

Gold Plated Server Board Scrap Gold Refining!! GOLD!!! (#260081384618) US $31.00

And here is a positive he had left before.

Very Very Nice Tanks So Much!! AAA++++ Buyer:
Mar-02-06 16:38
-- (#8762035435) --

This guy is the reason I rarely sell any gold stuff on E-Bay anymore.

silversaddle1 said:
While I agree that PayPal is good for both buyer and sellers, the neg feedback I got over it was BS. At that time I had been a seller for about 5 years. 100% positive feedback, no negs, ever. Look at my auction I have running now. Good, clear photos, good discription, willing to answer any questions. No mystery of what your are bidding on. Well at the time I got the negs, you did not have to take PayPal. The buyer insisted that I take it, I told him no, so the jerk gives me two negs and says I'm trying to rip him off.

That would really aggrevate me too. Also with ratings, and this has been happening to me alot lately is... I hate when people take forever to leave feedback. You can see that they are going onto ebay regularly because they are buying and selling items, people are leaving feedback for the transactions but the person cant take a few minutes to leave feedback for the people that are putting money into his/her pocket and providing needed goods :x If you let it go long enough the ability to recieve feedback for the transaction disappears! That really makes me angry. Does this happen to anyone else?

Latest posts

Back