EBAY IS GOOD!! TOO MUCH NEGATIVITY

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I'm concerned eBay is like KMart was in the early 2000s--still there but no one knew why. They'll be gone within a few years, replaced by boutique type auction sites that cater to a specific clientel, rather than trying to be a super-auction site for all and everything.

The worst part about this is that Meg Whitman, the moron who made eBay what it is today (i.e. unusable) is running for governor of California. If she does to California what she did to eBay then we'll only be able to do transactions in MegBucks, every citizen will have positive/negative feedback profiles, and government workers will speak in prefabricated sentences and won't actually be of any use or help.

Why don't we create an auction site for PM scrap right here on the GRF? It would be the start of a nice money-making enterprise for Noxx. I've run my own auction site before and it is challenging and time-consuming but well worth it, especially the feedback you get for building a great community that facilitates transactions rather than trying to be in the middle of everything collecting fees.

Yes I agree!!!!!!!! That would be awesome I was actually debating starting an auction for precious metals in the twin cities.

Here's the deal from a seller's standpoint. If Noxx was to start a auction site here for gold and such, how many people would sell here? let's face it, we all know there is stupid money over on E-bay. Why sell here at spot or less when the sky is the limit over there? I sold some old boards a while back and the guy who bought them paid a huge amount of money for them. When I asked him if he thought he could make money on them he told me "not right now, but in the future I'll do fine." So I'm guessing he's speculating on gold futures. So by him doing that, I was able to sell a real nice high grade backplane that weighed 4 pounds for $145.00. My point being, no one here would pay that price so why try to sell it here. I think most people on this site are very savvy on values and content in scrap (I think this guy was too).

Not that I'm happy some guy is paying more than the item is worth, but it seems that maybe these guys know something we don't.

Comments?

I could see people here that don't want to deal with ebay and Paypal fees
determining a value that they want to get out of something and offering it
for sale here. If it sells fine, if they get offers by PM, fine.

In the old days, we all did business with verbal orders and trusting the guy
we were doing business with. I miss those days.

If I tried to sell some solver I refined to about 99% purity, I would rather sell it on this board for 97% spot or the powder at 95% spot (if anyone wanted to buy it) instead of selling it on ebay for 110% spot. I would make about the same, but someone wouldn't be paying way to much for the silver. I think it would be easier to sell to a smaller group of buyer at 97% than millions of buyer with a price of 110%. I could be wrong. I will have to try it some day. maybe people on ebay really will pay 110% of what it is really worth today.

goldenchild said:
I hate when people take forever to leave feedback. Does this happen to anyone else?
People are just lazy or uninformed. Right now I have a feedback of 148 I know I have had over 300 sales. So 50% of my customers don't bother to leave anything.

I never leave feedback first. If I don't get it they don't either. :evil:

I once email a lady with FB of 0. I asked her if she would send me some positive feedback on her transaction. She emailed me back and said she really liked what she bought. :mrgreen: (never got anything on feebay)

Chumbawamba said:
The worst part about this is that Meg Whitman, the moron who made eBay what it is today (i.e. unusable) is running for governor of California.
Yea, but look who she is running against a 72 year old hippie who ruined CA the first time he was gov.

I vote for none of the above. :x

cyberdan said:
goldenchild said:
I hate when people take forever to leave feedback. Does this happen to anyone else?
People are just lazy or uninformed. Right now I have a feedback of 148 I know I have had over 300 sales. So 50% of my customers don't bother to leave anything.

I never leave feedback first.

Its only good manners that the shop keeper bid you a good day as you leave his establishment with your purchase, not slam the door on your ass as your leaving his shop.

Feedback is a JOKE, ebay has everyone begging for 5 star ratings with a positive remark, this is not the original concept of the feedback format. It was simply a way of telling others how your transaction went to help build confidence in using an online auction - remember ebay was the first.

cyberdan said:

I never leave feedback first. If I don't get it they don't either. :evil:

Then I would never leave you feedback if I bought something from you.
As a seller I always leave feedback after I have shipped the goods. At that point the job is over for me.
As a buyer I always leave feedback when I receive the goods IF the seller have left me feedback first.

I hate sellers that isn't secure enough in the service they leave that they have to keep the feedback hostage.

But I agree that ePay have grown worse over the years. The fact that they also own paypal and enforces payment through paypal is just wrong. That's called monopoly. And being a foreign seller on the US eBay is also a big problem as some categories have a maximum postage level which is impossible to keep living here.

/Göran

g_axelsson said:
As a seller I always leave feedback after I have shipped the goods. At that point the job is over for me.
As a buyer I always leave feedback when I receive the goods IF the seller have left me feedback first.

I hate sellers that isn't secure enough in the service they leave that they have to keep the feedback hostage.
I guess you would never leave feedback for me either. Ebay now does not allow negative feedback for a buyer, whether they even pay you ar not. I usually wait about a week or two after shipping the item to make sure the buyer is satisfied with the purchase. Then I will leave positive feedback. The only time I leave positive feedback for the buyer before then is if they have left me positive feedback before the week. There are many crooks on ebay that will threaten to play their negative feedback card if they don't get a partial refund, and it is just frustrating when you already left positive feedback for them. My ebay feedback is 1906 with no negative feedback.

HTPatch said:
g_axelsson said:

I guess you would never leave feedback for me either.

Right again, neither would I another International seller who sees the other side of the eBay coin.

Ebay has made baggers of it's US sellers always requesting the buyer to leave positive feedback with a 5 star ratings for their DSR.

DSR's can only humanly be maintained as the full 5 if you live and sell within the US exclusively, which is asinine when 40% of your sales are going to Canada and other foreign countries.

The DSR system is prejudiced is keeping the US merchant at home or become a beggar with his international customer, because those of us that sell from outside the US do not get the same treatment when it comes to the very flawed DSR's we tend not to leave feedback for the seller.

Americans will blindly make a purchase from me because I'm offering something of interest but neglect to read the cost of postage, nor the fact that the item is coming from Canada. Two things I have no control over, it saddens me when I consistently get low DSR's on shipping time when the Post Office is at the end of my driveway.

gustavus said:
Americans will blindly make a purchase from me because I'm offering something of interest but neglect to read the cost of postage, nor the fact that the item is coming from Canada. Two things I have no control over, it saddens me when I consistently get low DSR's on shipping time when the Post Office is at the end of my driveway.
So true. Even though I am in US, I try not to sell large items for the same reason. I sold something that cost me $38 to ship. I believe I only charged $25 shipping, but got dinged on the stars because the buyer does not like what the post office charge. I hate that we have to play these games just to protect ourselves on Ebay.

gustavus said:
Its only good manners that the shop keeper bid you a good day as you leave his establishment with your purchase, not slam the door on your ass as your leaving his shop.

You would love shop keepers in Japan (it gets tireing after a while) When you enter a store every worker that sees you will greet you at the same time. It seems very well rehearsed, you hear the greeting from all angles in perfect unison and then the same thing when you leave.

What I really like are the gas stations I have been to. You drive your car in and go into a lobby, you can sit down and read the paper and have some coffee while your car is filled and windows cleaned. And when you leave, the station attendent goes out and stops traffic so you can enter the street.

Noxx said:
Such auctions website already exist but I don't mind making one if people are interested...
I would like to be part of that, an auction site where people can discuss the items and see the process of recovery before buying, as well as see what other member from this forum think of them to weed out the frauds.
joe :D

joem said:
Noxx said:
Such auctions website already exist but I don't mind making one if people are interested...
I would like to be part of that, an auction site where people can discuss the items and see the process of recovery before buying, as well as see what other member from this forum think of them to weed out the frauds.
joe :D

What about just adding an Auction category to the forum index? There would have to be some rules but it could still be kept fairly informal and the items could be discussed. The actual bids could be by PM and the seller would be responsible for keeping the most current bid (and the winning bid) up to date on the original listing (1st post of the thread). Before starting this, suggestions for the rules and format could be discussed by all members, on a thread, and then the final set of rules could be written by the moderators. Maybe there could be 2 stickys: (1) a set of rules and (2) a simple form that could be copied, pasted to the listing post, and filled out by the seller.

Like any tool Ebay has it's good and bad uses, and users. It's not the gun you need to worry about but the person holding it that may or may not fire it? I got tired of selling on Ebay before the changes in feedback were introduced and haven't sold there in a few years now although I still buy a fair share. I have accumulated a couple things I'd like to sell now though. I suppose today I'd just create a second user ID for selling only, as I see many others have.

macfixer01

Latest posts

Back