Electrolytic de-plating of silver in sulfuric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orvi

Supporting Member
Hi all

some time ago, thread about silver de-plating water cell attracted my attention. I read about it way ago and thought - hey, such a simple and clever idea. And instantly forgot about it, as I was doing some more important stuff. But now, when all of my refining stopped... I thought that I will try to experiment with something. Something I can manage without fumehood and a lab. And then I re-discovered water cell.

Way ago, my partner in refining processed larger batches of silver plated brass/copper scrap. He used electro-deplating in ammonia solution with subsequent drop of silver. This method works quickly, but is not selective and copper is also dissolved in substantial amounts.

It let me thinking about other ways. So I dug out some silver plated copper and brass and started some experiments. I tried original water cell, with just plain water. It kinda worked, but whenever the plating was removed and base metal exposed, excessive copper hydroxide was formed and deplating started to be wasteful. Not to mention it was painfully slow.

I then gave it second thought and try some more scientific approach - we need to make better electrolyte than plain water, and we need to somehow manage formation of that copper hydroxide junk. Starting slowly, my first "kitchen" choice was vinegar - yes, silver acetate is reasonably soluble in water and copper acetate also is. This kinda improved the outcome, but again - when silver coating was removed somewhere to base metal, reaction of the brass/copper underneath was way faster than that of silver, and even overpotential of 12+V cannot help to overcome this in any meaningful way.
Then I tried neutral electrolytes like sodium sulfate and sodium nitrate - without any appreciable effect. Hydroxides formed and copper was preferentially dissolved if it could be. No surprise in the end, as copper is more reactive. Dilute sulfuric acid speeded the process substantially, but again, deplating of silver was not the primary outcome of the experiment.

Then I tried something else. Sulfuric gold stripping in concentrated sulfuric is well known and working. So why not silver ? And why use concentrated acid, if the copper is passivated from like 50% up ?

I gave it a shot. 54 % sulfuric acid, voltage from like 4 to 12 V worked equally well (of course higher voltage faster). On the de-plated areas it start to bubble (persumably oxygen), and de-plating is nicely visual. No insoluble hydroxides. Also, I did not notice much of the blue colour (if any at all - but this can be misleading since copper sulfate isn´t that much coloured in comparison with other copper salts) from dissolved copper/brass, so I can say it does not dissolve too much of the base metal. Retention of silver in the solution is low (salt solution made some milky cloud, but not real precipitate) majority is "plated" on the cathode as fine, loose blackish powder. Most probably it isn´t Ag2O, since it does not redissolve in sulfuric acid after the current is stopped.
Once the silver is deplated, reaction do not go further much, and underlaying copper or brass is fairly intact. I did not measured the zinc percentage in the brass I deplated, But I assume it wasn´t that high.

However, I need to somehow test it further and do more research about electrochemistry of fairly concentrated sulfuric acid, as electrolysis is one way how to prepare peroxodisulfuric acid from more concentrated sulfuric acid. Peroxodisulfuric is fierce oxidizer. No unusual reactions observed so far, and in theory base metal should react with such oxidizer, so I am positive this isn´t the case... But I want some additional proof. Until then, be careful with it.

Any experiments and broadening the knowledge is welcomed. Setup I use is very simple, just some power supply, two clips and some pot with a bit of sulfuric acid. I want to play around with it more - I like that there is no NOx production as with sulfuric/nitric approach, no need to use hot concentrated sulfuric acid and no annoying hydroxides formed.

Photo of deplated samples of copper and brass below.

IMG_20240516_001329.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all

some time ago, thread about silver de-plating water cell attracted my attention. I read about it way ago and thought - hey, such a simple and clever idea. And instantly forgot about it, as I was doing some more important stuff. But now, when all of my refining stopped... I thought that I will try to experiment with something. Something I can manage without fumehood and a lab. And then I re-discovered water cell.

Way ago, my partner in refining processed larger batches of silver plated brass/copper scrap. He used electro-deplating in ammonia solution with subsequent drop of silver. This method works quickly, but is not selective and copper is also dissolved in substantial amounts.

It let me thinking about other ways. So I dug out some silver plated copper and brass and started some experiments. I tried original water cell, with just plain water. It kinda worked, but whenever the plating was removed and bease metal exposed, excessive copper hydroxide was formed and deplating started to be wasteful. Not to mention it was painfully slow.

I then gave it second thought and try some more scientific approach - we need to make better electrolyte than plain water, and we need to somehow manage formation of that copper hydroxide junk. Starting slowly, my first "kitchen" choice was vinegar - yes, silver acetate is reasonably soluble in water and copper acetate also is. This kinda improved the outcome, but again - when silver coating was removed somewhere to base metal, reaction of the brass/copper underneath was way faster than that of silver, and even overpotential of 12+V cannot help to overcome this in any meaningful way.
Then I tried neutral electrolytes like sodium sulfate and sodium nitrate - without any appreciable effect. Hydroxides formed and copper was preferentially dissolved if it could be. No surprise in the end, as copper is more reactive. Dilute sulfuric acid speeded the process substantially, but again, deplating of silver was not the primary outcome of the experiment.

But then I tried something else. Sulfuric gold stripping in concentrated sulfuric is well known and working. So why not silver ? And why use concentrated acid, if the copper is passivated from like 50% up ?

I gave it a shot. 54 % sulfuric acid, voltage from like 4 to 12 V worked equally well (of coure higher voltage faster). On the de-plated areas it start to bubble (persumably oxygen), and de-plating is nicely visual. No insoluble hydroxides. Also, I did not notice much blue colour (if any at all - but this can be misleading since copper sulfate isn´t that much coloured in comparison with other copper salts) from dissolved copper/brass, so I can say it does not dissolve too much of the base metal. Retention of silver in the solution is very low, majority is "plated" on the cathode as fine, loose blackish powder. Most probably it isn´t Ag2O, since it does not redissolve in sulfuric acid after the current is stopped.
Once the silver is deplated, reaction do not go further much, and underlaying copper or brass is fairly intact. I did not measured the zinc percentage in the brass I deplated, But I assume it wasn´t that high.

However, I need to somehow test it further and do more research about electrochemistry of fairly concentrated sulfuric acid, as electrolysis is one way how to prepare peroxodisulfuric acid from more concentrated sulfuric acid. Peroxodisulfuric is fierce oxidizer. No unusual reactions observed so far, so I am positive this isn´t the case... But I want some additional proof. Until then, be careful with it.

Any experiments and broadening the knowledge is welcomed. Setup I use is very simple, just some power supply, two clips and some pot with a bit of sulfuric acid. I want to play around with it - I like that there is no NOx production as with sulfuric/nitric approach, no need to use hot concentrated sulfuric acid and no annoying hydroxides formed.

View attachment 62959
Interesting, let us know more in time.

Looking forward to updates. I have considered this often, just felt I needed more knowledge before trying it. 👍

Hi all

It let me thinking about other ways. So I dug out some silver plated copper and brass and started some experiments. I tried original water cell, with just plain water. It kinda worked, but whenever the plating was removed and base metal exposed, excessive copper hydroxide was formed and deplating started to be wasteful. Not to mention it was painfully slow.

Then I tried something else. Sulfuric gold stripping in concentrated sulfuric is well known and working. So why not silver ? And why use concentrated acid, if the copper is passivated from like 50% up ?

I gave it a shot. 54 % sulfuric acid, voltage from like 4 to 12 V worked equally well (of course higher voltage faster). On the de-plated areas it start to bubble (persumably oxygen), and de-plating is nicely visual. No insoluble hydroxides. Also, I did not notice much of the blue colour (if any at all - but this can be misleading since copper sulfate isn´t that much coloured in comparison with other copper salts) from dissolved copper/brass, so I can say it does not dissolve too much of the base metal. Retention of silver in the solution is low (salt solution made some milky cloud, but not real precipitate) majority is "plated" on the cathode as fine, loose blackish powder. Most probably it isn´t Ag2O, since it does not redissolve in sulfuric acid after the current is stopped.

However, I need to somehow test it further and do more research about electrochemistry of fairly concentrated sulfuric acid, as electrolysis is one way how to prepare peroxodisulfuric acid from more concentrated sulfuric acid. Peroxodisulfuric is fierce oxidizer. No unusual reactions observed so far, and in theory base metal should react with such oxidizer, so I am positive this isn´t the case... But I want some additional proof. Until then, be careful with it.

Any experiments and broadening the knowledge is welcomed. Setup I use is very simple, just some power supply, two clips and some pot with a bit of sulfuric acid. I want to play around with it more - I like that there is no NOx production as with sulfuric/nitric approach, no need to use hot concentrated sulfuric acid and no annoying hydroxides formed.

View attachment 62959
One thing though, don't Silver dissolve in Sulfuric?

One thing though, don't Silver dissolve in Sulfuric?
It does, but it is very slow in cold and diluted sulfuric. Concentrated and hot acid is used. Simplicity of this procedure is one thing, other is that procedure involving hot concentrated sulfuric acid is extremely dangerous. Sreetips has a video issuing dissolution of silver in hot concentrated sulfuric (he is using rolled sterling as feed), and even with rolled forks and other stuff, very thin, it took significant time.

If I can replace hot and concentrated acid with diluted and cold... I am willing to take that extra step of involving electricity into the game :)

Looking forward to updates. I have considered this often, just felt I needed more knowledge before trying it. 👍
Most of the reactions we perform or "discover" was discovered way ago and is indeed desribed somewhere :)

With today´s search engines like Google and also AI tools, you can dig it up easier than ever.
When I am going to do something, I always ask google - that is a good way to check. Browse few pages of Google, tweak the phrase/key words and try one more time. Reactions we perform in refining are basic redox chemistry, which with gold, silver, nitric, sulfuric and hydrochloric is 100 % known. This will take 5-10 minutes max. Searching equations and reactions via images can speed things up :) that is my preferred way of searching things in general.

Most important is to check for potential hazards, and then try small scale experiments. Bearing in mind that if you will be unable to perform at least reliable qualitative and gravimetric analytics, then your work can be waste of time.

It does, but it is very slow in cold and diluted sulfuric. Concentrated and hot acid is used. Simplicity of this procedure is one thing, other is that procedure involving hot concentrated sulfuric acid is extremely dangerous. Sreetips has a video issuing dissolution of silver in hot concentrated sulfuric (he is using rolled sterling as feed), and even with rolled forks and other stuff, very thin, it took significant time.

If I can replace hot and concentrated acid with diluted and cold... I am willing to take that extra step of involving electricity into the game :)
This is probably a trade off as all chemistry and refining, since dilute Sulfuric acid will dissolve Copper.
How about cold concentrated Sulfuric acid, then there should be little to no Copper.

Dropping the Silver can be done with some Table salt or HCl I guess?

Bearing in mind that if you will be unable to perform at least reliable qualitative and gravimetric analytics, then your work can be waste of time.
And that would be my weakness. Some I can do fairly well others not so well. If I can ever get caught up on some other projects I may try it yet though.

How about concentrated Sulfuric and some Nitric.
Can the Copper be effectively passivated so the Nitric won't attack it?
Effectively only using the Sulfuric as a passivator?

How about concentrated Sulfuric and some Nitric.
Can the Copper be effectively passivated so the Nitric won't attack it?
Effectively only using the Sulfuric as a passivator?
This is standard procedure for plated copper, at least here it was :) I processed tens of kilos of plated scrap using this technique. Work relatively nicely. However you need to dose the nitric slowly and incrementally. When you add too much, some copper will dissolve visibly. It also works best if it is heated up a bit.

Yup, sulfuric is just a medium for dissolution of silver sulfate, since it dissolve poorly in diluted sulfuric acid.

Ok guys, I celebrated too early I guess. Today I did some thicker plated copper pieces, and it wasn´t selective at all. Looks like with 54% acid, copper is passivated, but not enough to stop the dissolution. I managed to dissolve around 0,90 g of combined metals (Ag and Cu) and reprecipitate them on the cathode as fine metallic sponge with distinct copper colour. I know that this plated copper bar average 1% silver, silver from deplated area totals to around 220 mg. That leaves 680 mg of dissolved copper, or about 24% selectivity. Not that good.

I also did one control, where I used 54% sulfuric and sodium nitrate with heating (I do not have nitric in the place I live right now). This was going as expected, slowly and steadily, even that I overshoot the temperature once and copper started visibly dissolving. In this case, I dissolved 0,52 g of metal, from which 0,16 g was silver. That represents around 31% selectivity.

With concentrated sulfuric it nearly always pass 60+%... So maybe this electrolysis approach won´t be that beneficial. Obviously, if I use more concentrated acid, that will passivate copper more - resulting in better silver to copper ratio.
I will probably try two more runs - one with 75% or so acid, and one with concentrated acid. To see if this have any use in real world refining.
Because my point was to not use concentrated sulfuric at all. If 75 or so % won´t work at all, there would be no benefit apart of fact that electrolysis do not produce NOx gasses.

On the pics below is the electrolysis in progress in the early stage (in one spot close to the top of the liquid acid find its way through silver and uncovered copper base) and also later stage (notable copper dissolution). Deplated part of the copper bar and resulting metallic copper-silver sponge.

Attachments

• IMG_20240518_164453.jpg
    IMG_20240518_164453.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240518_180056.jpg
    IMG_20240518_180056.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240518_193922.jpg
    IMG_20240518_193922.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240518_201124.jpg
    IMG_20240518_201124.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So far I have never found a solution that works better than sodium sulfite, unless you want the sulfuric/nitric strip for speed but it has a lot of hazards using and recovering from solution.

Sodium sulfite with a voltage lower than 1.8v is extremely selective, xrf tested every silver button at 95% or higher and that contamination was probably due to using my crucible I use for sterling melts.

Only downside to sodium sulfite it takes a several hours and it converts to sodium sulfate over time with oxygen present however you can use the solution for several days before it does this so if you prepared your silver items you can use it before it "spoils" if you want to call it that.

Attachments

• 20240430_112134.jpg
    20240430_112134.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240430_193414.jpg
    20240430_193414.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Just so I'm clear, each item takes several hours to strip using a sodium sulphite solution? I wonder if using a copper mesh "shelf" to hold a number of items would help with this, essentially setting it up and walking away for a few hours. I have several hundred kg of silver plated items I keep meaning to strip "some day", but I keep putting it off because of the large amount of work and direct supervision involved.

Just so I'm clear, each item takes several hours to strip using a sodium sulphite solution? I wonder if using a copper mesh "shelf" to hold a number of items would help with this, essentially setting it up and walking away for a few hours. I have several hundred kg of silver plated items I keep meaning to strip "some day", but I keep putting it off because of the large amount of work and direct supervision involved.
It works however I maybe should have added I only use this on brass and copper plated items, I'm not sure if this works with silver plated iron/steel or silver plated tin or aluminum.

However I have done large batches with great success.

Also be careful as a lot of items have nickel under the plating and it looks like it isn't work but I assure you it is, I have had multiple pieces tested with xrf where I can leave half plated and remove the other half of items just to demonstrate it to the scrap yard I service.

The owner gets large amounts that we process, it is fairly simple with lower power consumption just takes time if you are patient it pays off.

I'd recommend trying a small quantity before you scale up, some methods are not for everyone, it's a fairly benign and cheap process, probably one of the safest I've ever used, still be safe and use caution when refining regardless.

Last edited:
goohuz, for larger quantities you might consider a tumbler. The electrical connection is made with danglers. If you search those two terms you should find some relevant threads. Tumblers are used in the plating industry. They can be equally useful when stripping.

Dave

Excellent, thank you both for the replies. Kaisernine, the vast majority of the material I have is brass and copper, with a decent amount of "nickel silver", and only maybe 20 lbs. of plated steel, so it's something I definitely find interesting. FrugalRefiner, I will definitely search those tumbler systems. Thanks again to you both!

Excellent, thank you both for the replies. Kaisernine, the vast majority of the material I have is brass and copper, with a decent amount of "nickel silver", and only maybe 20 lbs. of plated steel, so it's something I definitely find interesting. FrugalRefiner, I will definitely search those tumbler systems. Thanks again to you both!
You can maybe test a few pieces of the silver plated steel in a separate container, I don't ever get any of it, if it sticks to a magnet they throw it in the shredder here before i'd even know, - my guess is no but maybe it will work.

You can maybe test a few pieces of the silver plated steel in a separate container, I don't ever get any of it, if it sticks to a magnet they throw it in the shredder here before i'd even know, - my guess is no but maybe it will work.
I also like the sodium sulfite. Could never understand why it never caught on.

At the time I was working shift work and would check and change out items about 12 hours apart when I was home from work. 10 or 15 minutes twice a day. Not much time invested. I would use a nylon bristle brush on the fine detail when removing decorated items then rinse with a spray bottle.

At one point I had a narrow 23 gallon trash can with a 10” wide stainless cathode bent to fit the can. Only used it for the largest items because of the limited life of the electrolyte. Had to use plywood and rachet straps to keep it from going round from the weight of the water😂.

Worked wonderfully on large trays. I would drill two holes in the items and hang them from a piece of copper tubing resting on the rim of the container with copper wire.

Iron items do not work, there is bad reaction causing an extreme buildup of some sort of corrosion.

So far I have never found a solution that works better than sodium sulfite, unless you want the sulfuric/nitric strip for speed but it has a lot of hazards using and recovering from solution.

Sodium sulfite with a voltage lower than 1.8v is extremely selective, xrf tested every silver button at 95% or higher and that contamination was probably due to using my crucible I use for sterling melts.

Only downside to sodium sulfite it takes a several hours and it converts to sodium sulfate over time with oxygen present however you can use the solution for several days before it does this so if you prepared your silver items you can use it before it "spoils" if you want to call it that.
Interesting, I never heard abot this. Wonderful information. This will take a long time to discover :D I planned to try some other electrolytes, but never even thought about sulfite :)

Do you use some arbitrary concentration of sulfite, or there is some "sweet spot" ?
And second question - does it produce some smelly sulfur compounds like SO2 or sulfane gas ?

Thank you guys for very useful information :)

Interesting, I never heard abot this. Wonderful information. This will take a long time to discover :D I planned to try some other electrolytes, but never even thought about sulfite :)

Do you use some arbitrary concentration of sulfite, or there is some "sweet spot" ?
And second question - does it produce some smelly sulfur compounds like SO2 or sulfane gas ?

Thank you guys for very useful information :)
Basically odor free, info from the forum years ago stated 20 to 80 grams per liter.

Latest posts

Back