Electronic gold recovery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Harold said, it sounds like you're talking about brush plating. The gold plating solution is in a gel form probably to confine it and prevent it from running all over.

In the old days, we put a wad of glass wool on the end of about a 6" carbon rod. It was held on with a rubber band. The positive lead from the rectifier was hooked to the other end of the carbon rod. The negative lead was hooked to the object being plated. The glass wool was dipped (and re-dipped frequently) in whatever type plating solution was desired and brushed on the clean object being plated. In industry, special brush plating solutions (usually with a high metal concentration) are often used but, in practice, many regular plating solutions will work at the right voltage - usually from 2 to 4V, depending on the solution. You need enough glass wool to prevent the rod from shorting out on the part being plated.

I am trying to separated gold from others metals. I have the gold dust from my process. But when I went to smelt it. The gold was magnetic. Any one know why?

Gold is non magnetic, other metals like iron are magnetic.
So you either do not have gold dust from your process or your gold is mixed with other the metals which you were trying to separate.

I do not know what metals you were trying to separate, or any details of what your process consists of or the details in it, or what you could be working with like pyrite ore or electronic scrap or a golden yellow banana.

All I know is gold will not stick to a magnet.

As Butcher has said we need a lot more information to be able to even guess what has occurred.
What you were processing.
How you processed it and with what and what chemicals were used.
Basically an A-Z of what you had and what exactly you have done, answers will follow very quickly if we know that..

Chiptech81 said:
Hi all
I need some advice,
I have access to a constant supply of computer cpu's, memory, pcb etc etc and gold plated/filled jewellery.
Is there any easy way to recover the gold that does not involve acids?
There are 3 main companies in the uk that pay for electronic waste but the price they quote is low considering what gold is available, for example:-
Pentium Pro CPU - they pay £110 per Kg
They contain 1 gram of gold each, 11 processors to 1kg, what purity of gold would it be?
Any help would be appreciated
I will teach you an extremely easy method 8f you will help me with your supplier. Furthermore, expect to recover .5 gram from large pentiums

Back