Emerald liquor vs. muddy liquor

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scwiers

this newbie is still at it.

My first batch of halide fluid (1 kg NaCl in 2 gal H2O, 1 gal HCl, and 1 gal bleach oxidizer added over the course of a day or two, was used to treat 20 lbs. crushed ore obtained from electronics. The ore had already been treated with a straight HCl treatment to remove base metals. After several rinses and pour offs, the liquor settled out, and gradually obtained a rich green color. Later, I filtered the liquid and preciptitated, and subsequently smelted the material, resulting in a nice little ingot or two (which still needs further treatment).

But here's the thing. On my second batch, using an identical recipe, and more of the identical ore, the fluid just won't clarify. My settling bucket has stayed 'muddy' for a week or two. The only thing may be that a warmer spell we had during my first batch sped things along. I'm wondering, two, if just heating the murky liquor in a crock-pot might do the trick.

hi Lino1406--
The liquor, finally, starting to clarify. It seems that there were some base metals left over from the HCl treatment and rinse, that were muddying things up. Sure enough, following your advice, I took a flask of liquor, precipitated w/ Al, and precipitate sank to the bottom, as usual.

Thanks again; I appreciate your input.

Sam

Back