Evergreen Technologies, CPU (ID Help)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

necromancer

hello all,

i found this chip today & can't find any info about it other then this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/processors/evergreen-586-133-cpu/1707-3086_7-776951.html

i am not sure if the chip shown is the same, looks the same.
the one i have was made in 1996 "Evergreen Technologies, inc. G1 Rev 1. 1996" (made by D.M.)

no real markings other then that

just wondering if its scrap or not

thank you for your help

The chip isn't an Evergreen, the actual chip is an AMD 5x86. Where Evergreen came in was the intermediary board that allowed for just the replacement of the CPU in the motherboard so that you could upgrade and not incur the cost of an entirely new computer. It would either fit in the overdrive socket, or the 486 socket and translate the pins correctly.

Figure it like this, normally the CPU would plug directly into a socket that was married to the board, the Evergreen board would plug into the board socket, and had another socket that accepted the newer CPU which in this case was a AMD 5x86. Sometimes people called them piggybacks.

Scott

Use a heatgun to get the pins off the solderside, they dont go through the board. You can dip that pin array in AP without removing the single pins, the rest is just PCB. Dont use too much heat, take your time or the PCM will start to burn.
Then try to warm the heatsink and pull it off as well.
Heat remaining adapter from the solderside and tap on it from time to time, it will fall down (leave CPU in socket to add weight)
Pull the CPU.
Collect all the yellow components, they are tantalum capacitors. Maybe some more underneath the CPU.
Important hint is to heat the socket from the opposite site, never directly! Otherwise it will melt.
Good luck!

Marcel, how do you process tantalum caps? I'm collecting them ever since I heard you speak of them in a different post. Now I'm interested in how to process them?

Thank you
Thad.

Latest posts

Back